Using the lead leg (drive knee) as the first swing leg...

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:15 am

altius wrote:Mecham - you must be on some strong stuff to come up with that question/comment. :)
Well, i was looking at one when i was reading this. I know that having a long swing leg and a good drive knee is the way to go. Is it that tucking and shooting gets you upside down faster but makes your top end not as good as compared to the long left leg? Jeff Hartwig is an example, he tucks and shoots, but doesnt really row with his right arm as much.
Just you wait...

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:26 am

altius wrote:Mecham - you must be on some strong stuff to come up with that question/comment. :)
Ha ha... i just realized what i put.... I am like... the dumbest/blondest person here! Sorry guys. But yeah. But my question still is, does the tuck and shoot allow you to get upside down and vertical faster?
Just you wait...

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:37 am

I believe that it may get you to vertical faster, but by tucking your trail leg, you lose energy going into that pole. Once the trail leg comes in, the pressure releases, thus slowing the rolling of the pole, and not taking the energy up and through the top of the pole.....Bubka's leg doesn't break, his swing is "long and strong" which appears to roll\load the pole at the same time.....

just a thought....
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:47 am

A lot of times you tuck you're trail leg in response to something else you are doing in the vault that is working against your ability to swing. So you tuck your trail leg to be able to continue to swing.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:52 am

Right on Banjo - just come back from a great dinner party so I am not quite sure whats happening - but you are spot on. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:25 pm

hmm....I don't know if everyone understand what I'm talking about.
Look at some of Toby's vaults at the olympics frame-by-frame, after he leaves the ground and his plant starts to load the pole his drive knee drops but his drive foot kicks forward creating a straight line from his drive foot along his body straight up to his top hand. Now, his trail leg is still way behind him and hasn't started to swing. I think the lead leg actually first causes some load first LIKE the trail leg. I hope that helps

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:34 pm

I see what you mean. I think it was mentioned earlier but, Dimitry Markov does the same thing with dropping his drive knee, its just not as pronounced and he doesnt kick it out like toby. I think when they do that it is like a "pump" to get up and swing. I may be way off like my last post(s) :crying: BUT. For example, when you jump for a verticle leap you dont just stand and jump without tucking first. you pump and then jump.

please oh please oh please be good and sound right!
Just you wait...

skyshark177
PV Pro

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:07 pm

Mecham wrote: BUT. For example, when your jump for a verticle leap you dont just stand and jump without tucking first.

When you say "tucking" you're not talking about when your knees come into your chest before you shoot up, are you?

Because, the part i'm talking about is while your feet are still blow your waist.

Just like in your picture icon.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:28 pm

skyshark177 wrote:
Mecham wrote: BUT. For example, when your jump for a verticle leap you dont just stand and jump without tucking first.

When you say "tucking" you're not talking about when your knees come into your chest before you shoot up, are you?

Because, the part i'm talking about is while your feet are still blow your waist.

Just like in your picture icon.
Right, the verticle leap was just the first thing that came to my mind about pumping.
Just you wait...

skyshark177
PV Pro

Unread postby skyshark177 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:31 pm

Can you explain it without using the word "pump", I just don't understand what you mean by that?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:32 pm

Folks stop thinking about 'loading the pole' amd start thinking about swinging on it fast enough to get on top of it before it recoils. IF you read my post above you may understand why what Dima does -and probably what Toby does - is not a good idea because it slows their rotation so they do not cover the pole soon enough -they get there -but too late.

Toby is a grat athlete no question but your model should be Bubka or even isinbyeva. :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:08 pm

Mecham, with tuck and shoot guys, typically they do this to shorten their rotation to catch up with the unbending pole. If they tried to swing long, they would never "catch the ride" and would probably bail out every time. Hartwig actually does row quite a bit, and in my opinion this is one of the reasons you see the tuck.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”