Russian VS. American style vaulting

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
JCvaulter17
PV Newbie

Russian VS. American style vaulting

Unread postby JCvaulter17 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:40 am

just wondering what everyone thinks about the two, i myself have been taught to vault russian style and i think it has its benifits compared to american style, this is just a poll to see what the people prefer so if u have anything else drop me a line

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:59 am

What do you see as the differences between the two?

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:46 am

i read somewhere that the russian style is more based on a constant chain of montion. The key is to never be not moving in the vault no sitting or holding for a moment. I have read that American vaulting it more based on power and less on this constant chain of motion that was concieved by Vitaly.
"Our Greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

agapit
PV Follower

Re: Russian VS. American style vaulting

Unread postby agapit » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:55 pm

JCvaulter17 wrote:just wondering what everyone thinks about the two, i myself have been taught to vault russian style and i think it has its benifits compared to american style, this is just a poll to see what the people prefer so if u have anything else drop me a line

When I started vaulting in Russia in 1979 we hardly had any fiberglass poles. When I got to 16' in high school my first sky pole was 16'6" 175 with my body weight at 158LBS. I have no-heighted in 50% of competitions. We just did not have poles. I did not know until much later that 16' and 15' poles existed at all.

So you see that thinking of the fiberglass pole as a rigid pole was a natural step for us and the only way I could jump on the 16'6" 175 pole was to avoid any resistance from it on the ground and let it bend in the air. Otherwise, it hurt like hell and we had no where to back down.

For us the focus was on athletics not the ability to use the pole.

In the US with abundance of the soft poles the focus from the beginning is on to the adaptation aspect of utilizing the pole and pole bend.

I think, that is the root of the difference between the schools.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:19 am

Dont you just love the clarity and the logic?
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultfan

Russian Vrs. American Style

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:12 pm

The article “Pole Vaulting Techniqueâ€Â

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:29 pm

vaultfan

this sounds only slightly different than what i remember being taught to earl bell, mike tully, dave roberts and others...

i think petrov described what was taking place in the vault a little "tighter" to physics than we were hearing at the time.. and i've found over the years if we stick to the very specific start/pole carry position we can avoid a breakdown at the plant.. if we plant properly and "completely" we allow ourselves to swing fast, powerful and explosive.

actually looks very similar to the "florida pole vault school" booklet that was used in the late 70's..

the left wrist at the start of the run and during the pole carry is VERY important and was a major emphasis of mike tully.. as well as sliding the pole the last foot or so in the box.. mike would chalk the box so he could see where the tip would hit after each jump...

the position at takeoff, extended - on the toe- plant arm very high and still moving up, was a dave roberts emphasis and his "moniker"

one difference i do see is the front arm extending up.. way up.. and honestly that has been as a result of better poles.. it was pretty impossible for a vaulter of that era to extend the bottom arm.. the pole would break...

george moore and herb jenks started the process... a symmetrical bending pole .....that would allow a higher grip and a "round" bend which would allow the bottom arm to extend up and not break the pole...

i like what this article says.... and i think petrov said it better than anyone has to date...

good stuff

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

agapit
PV Follower

Re: Russian Vrs. American Style

Unread postby agapit » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 pm

[quote="vaultfan"]

GRADUALLY LOWERING THE POLE DURING THE APPROACH
Petrov said that if an athlete does not master the element of lowering and planting the pole he will never become a top-class vaulter. Essentially, the Russian style calls for the the pole being lowered in a slow and controlled fashion during the approach and plant as the gradual pole drop will aid in the athlete’s acceleration since the dropping pole will “pullâ€Â

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:23 pm

agapit

what is sudoscience?

do you agree ... disagree.. did petrov say this.. did someone else say this..

is it fact or fiction??

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:29 pm

vaultfan wrote:KEEPING THE BOTTOM HAND HIGH AND CLOSE TO THE CHEST
The Russian style calls for the vaulter to keep the bottom hand high and fairly close to the chest as the pole is being lowered during the approach and while starting to lower the tip of the pole into the box during the plant. Most vaulters push the bottom hand outward toward the box creating a poor axis for the pole to rotate around during the plant. Also, pushing both hands forward during the plant can result in the tip of the pole reaching the back of the box prematurely, forcing the vaulter onto his/her back too soon which ultimately destroys the power of the vault.

When planting the pole, most vaulters move the bottom hand forward and up, keeping the body square to the runway. In order to keep the bottom hand high and close to the chest, the Russian style involves turning the body slightly and curling the bottom hand somewhat behind the body as the pole is being raised toward the shoulder and then the body is turned back to square as the bottom hand is raised above the head.

I am not sure that this is specific to any particular vaulting tradition.

[quote="vaultfan"]

THE TAKEOFF POINT
In the book “Complete Book of Jumpsâ€Â

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:46 pm

[quote="vaultfan"]Those who favor the free take concept feel that the pole bending prior to takeoff forces the vaulter to work against the pole, not with the pole. It is felt than an early bend in the pole will force the vaulter to “muscleâ€Â

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:53 pm

dj wrote:agapit

what is sudoscience?

do you agree ... disagree.. did petrov say this.. did someone else say this..

is it fact or fiction??

dj

must correct my spelling, sorry.

Main Entry: pseu·do·sci·ence
Pronunciation: "sü-dO-'sI-&n(t)s
Function: noun
: a system of theories, assumptions, and methods erroneously regarded as scientific
- pseu·do·sci·en·tif·ic /-"sI-&n-'ti-fik/ adjective
- pseu·do·sci·en·tist /-'sI-&n-tist/ noun

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”