How/When to pull when inverted

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: How/When to pull when inverted

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Lilmicmike wrote: Is this what you are referring to when you mention the pull to handstand?

I like this vid that you posted. It's a hip-circle-to-a-handstand (sort of), but it's a pole vaulter, doing it with a single trail leg. If you could do that, I would be quite satisfied that you're on your way to 18 feet. I just don't see this skill level in your 5-left vaults yet though. Did you video this guy? Is it a buddy of yours? If you know him, maybe he can give you some pointers?

This isn't quite what I was referring to, but it's good enough to get an idea of the movement.

Besides the hip-circle-to-a-handstand, there's actually 2 other drills: (1) hang-to-a-handstand; and (2) pull-to-a-handstand.

#1 is what gymnasts sometimes do as their first trick - after their coach lifts them up to grab the bar.

#2 is from standing below the bar and then jumping up. I called this "pull-to-a-handstand", but that's not really the best name for it. It might be better called "pull-to-a-handstand-from-a-standing-start".

I recommend #2 for a couple reasons: (a) you can do it yourself, without help; and (b) it's actually a little easier, since you can jump a little higher than you need to (to grab the bar), and then you bounce down a bit - which simulates the flex of the pole (a little bit). So you get a bit of oomph out of the bar this way.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:19 am

Best piece of advice I've read in a long time, nice work Kirk.

Lilmicmike wrote:
Currently we are struggling with the top end. I've never really been taught what to do up top.

Drew, you mention what you're doing "right", but not what you're doing "wrong". Here's my list (I won't mention anything before your takeoff, but there's issues there too):

1. You're taking off too far under. You can see that your pole is bending before you take off. You should strive for a "free takeoff" (the Petrov Model).

2. Your drive thru your chest is initially OK (as best as you could expect with an "under" takeoff), but it's far from optimal, because your body posture (the angle of attack) is almost leaning back. Instead, you need to have a slight forwards lean on takeoff. This is impossible with an under takeoff.

3. As I said, your initial drive thru your chest is good, but then something very weird happens, which you must be doing cognizantly. Your bottom arm suddenly goes straight. You are pushing with your bottom arm to straighten it. Don't do that! It's killing your swing. Your trail leg has nowhere to swing to.

4. The top of your vault is a product of the faults that I just mentioned re the bottom of your vault. I don't know why you think that you just need to learn what to do "up top". Focus on improving the bottom of your vault, and the top will take care of itself. Take a look at Bubka's vaults, and you'll see that it's all in the bottom half. More recently, take a look at Thiago Braz da Silva's vaults, and you'll see a similar technique (they had the same coach - Vitaly Petrov).

5. Your entire swing should be one smooth motion. But in your case, it's very jerky. Watch how your trail leg moves in a jerky motion, then compare it to how Bubka's trail leg moves. It looks like you haven't done much highbar work. Get on a highbar and learn to swing. And learn to do hip-circle-to-handstands (and other drills). Done right (and powerfully), you will need to hang onto the bar for dear life, else you'll fly straight up above the bar (if you were to release your hands). You should have that same feeling on the pole - just like Bubka. And just like da Silva. This is something you need to learn on the highbar - you cannot expect it to just happen on the pole.

6. I don't know why you think that how you point your toes (or not) has much to do with your technique. There's no style points awarded in PV, but I would either point them, or not even worry about how they're being pointed. That's a red herring - hardly worth discussing. Once you perfect everything in the bottom half of your vault, we can discuss how to point your toes. It's just not important right now.

Kirk

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:28 am

Lilmicmike wrote:Kirk, do not let my questioning of your theory be taken as ignoring your advice and criticism. I asked to be criticized and that is what you are doing.

What do you mean by "theory"?

More than 45 years ago, I vaulted higher than your PR using this technique. And that was with a Catapole 550+ that was probably twice the weight of your pole, and not nearly the fiber-wrap and resin technology that you're lucky enough to have in your poles today.

So no theory involved. This is based on my own practical experience, and current vaulters (like Thiago Braz Da Silva) continue to prove that it works in practice. He won an Olympic Gold Medal with this technique in Rio this year, clearing 6.03m.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”