"Coaches Mark" "MID" Big Pole

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

"Coaches Mark" "MID" Big Pole

Unread postby dj » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:57 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen………….

we need to drop the 4 step "coaches mark" completely!!!

coaches and athletes that are using that mark (4 steps from the takeoff) as an indicator are fooling themselves.. and creating unnecessary problems that they "justify" by saying "your steps were on you must have done ????......"

there has only been two problems keeping every vaulter i have seen in the last 30 years from improving

1. the approach run coaches mark/ "MID" is too far out..EVERY TIME the vaulter has a bad jump... E<<V<<E<<R<<Y time.........
if the "coaches mark" "MID" is not "ON" or closer than the mid / per grip i have on my chart you need not go any further as a vaulter... correct the run and them move on to the plant..

2. using a pole that is too big... every time a coach sends me a video or calls and starts the conversation with... "my vaulter had a great meet and "almost"... "and he was on the biggest pole he has ever used."

i know there is absolutely nothing i can say or do to help that vaulter and get he or the coach past the "almost"

if we want to help our vaulters improve we should make them use a pole one size smaller than they/we think they need to be on until mid way of the competitive season, and then we would create pole vaulters and not "mental" cases and dreamers.

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:05 pm

Holy Cow! Maybe the best post I have ever read on this board!

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:19 pm

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: "Coaches Mark" "MID" Big Pole

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:47 pm

dj wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen………….

we need to drop the 4 step "coaches mark" completely!!!

coaches and athletes that are using that mark (4 steps from the takeoff) as an indicator are fooling themselves.. and creating unnecessary problems that they "justify" by saying "your steps were on you must have done ????......"
dj

EB uses it. How does he "justify" it? :devil:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:06 am

:devil:

Here is why I have found “4â€Â

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:44 pm

I think we are putting too many elements into the run. Learn to run right the first time and just keep doing it. Besides, who wants a runway filled with neon colored tape/cones? <in a Kip Dynamite voice> They dont match the runway at all! It totally clashes!
Just you wait...

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:03 pm

Mecham wrote:I think we are putting too many elements into the run. Learn to run right the first time and just keep doing it.

because if the run is off, it only creates more problems later in the vault.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:17 pm

then get it right the first time
Just you wait...

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:28 pm

Mecham wrote:then get it right the first time

Easier said than done.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:41 pm

lol, i know. But if we learn to run right by doing drills, we will have mastered the run. (hurdles, high knees, pole carries etc.) I'm just saying you guy(s) are putting too much time into the run, and not the actual vault

Doubt it. Without the run, there is no actual vault. Spend 95% of your time on getting the right run and the vault will almost take care of itself.

...and drills alone will not build a perfect run. I know lots of people who can do every running drill with textbook form but can't ever hit a decent step. For that matter, I know vaulters who can hit the same step to the inch every time while doing doing pole runs, but can't take off less than a foot under on their vault. There's a lot more to it than that.
Just you wait...

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Mecham wrote:lol, i know. But if we learn to run right by doing drills, we will have mastered the run. (hurdles, high knees, pole carries etc.) I'm just saying you guy(s) are putting too much time into the run, and not the actual vault

Doubt it. Without the run, there is no actual vault. Spend 95% of your time on getting the right run and the vault will almost take care of itself.

...and drills alone will not build a perfect run. I know lots of people who can do every running drill with textbook form but can't ever hit a decent step. For that matter, I know vaulters who can hit the same step to the inch every time while doing doing pole runs, but can't take off less than a foot under on their vault. There's a lot more to it than that.

Don't know how that got posted under Mecham, but that was my reply.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:07 pm

That is like the coolest thing ever. But i know what you mean. I think the idea of DJ's chart as being perfect and the only one to use and nothing else works approach or feel kinda gets to me
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”