Question for agapit

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Question for agapit

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:43 pm

In my jump I definitely try to maximize the active phases. I work with my arms throughout the motion. I cannot, however, jump straight up off of the ground. I get my heel off of the ground before the pole starts to bend by leaning slightly forward at the takeoff so that my top hand is a little in front of me. After that I am active through the entire jump. My chest drives forward, but I do not drive it there; it just happens. My left arm is almost straight, but I do not push with it. Are we on the same page, or are we on different planets? I think you saw me jump back in the 80's. What do you think?
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Question for agapit

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:38 pm

I think you had great technique very similar to Jeff Buckingham 5"8" 150lb(17’0â€Â

agapit
PV Follower

Re: Question for agapit

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:35 am

Tim McMichael wrote:In my jump I definitely try to maximize the active phases. I work with my arms throughout the motion. I cannot, however, jump straight up off of the ground. I get my heel off of the ground before the pole starts to bend by leaning slightly forward at the takeoff so that my top hand is a little in front of me. After that I am active through the entire jump. My chest drives forward, but I do not drive it there; it just happens. My left arm is almost straight, but I do not push with it. Are we on the same page, or are we on different planets? I think you saw me jump back in the 80's. What do you think?

We are in the same solar system. You are describing a free take-off. This can be achieved with a very little jumping ability of an athlete. The free take-off should have stimulated your jumping ability over time and your ability to make a maximum input during the take-off even though it was probably just falling though the take-off leg. You did very fast falling trough the take-off leg, faster then most, didn’t you?

With the left arm, in your case, is difficult to say without seeing the vault. However, the straight arm does not mean that the vaulter intends to push with it. It could mean many things other then push.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”