Bubka Heresy 2

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:21 pm

We never measured anything but 40 yard sprints. I ran in the 4.5's and Joe ran in the high 4.2's and low 4.3's. One of the most telling things abut Joe's speed was that he long jumped 25' in high school.
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:57 pm

rodeojoe74 wrote: 2 reasons: 1) it wastes time and therefore energy (you should either store energy or use it for height),

I am curious to why the tuck shoot is a slower vault i always thought it would be faster
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:34 pm

CrossBarHOpper wrote:
rodeojoe74 wrote: 2 reasons: 1) it wastes time and therefore energy (you should either store energy or use it for height),

I am curious to why the tuck shoot is a slower vault i always thought it would be faster

When Tim and Joe were jumping they were getting excellent push-offs because of the size of pole they were on. Holding 15’0â€Â

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:49 am

sorry i keep jumping in and making comments but i cant help it tim and joe were my idols growing up. most polevaulters run 30's flying 30's or 40's for time because you kinda wanna know what your top speed is. because you only hit you top gear for 5-10 meters. in the hundred its decided by who deaccelerate's the least. for the push off thing joe and tim would maximize their energy into the pole and be in excellent postitions to recieve all of that energy back. alot of a good push off is determined by velocity and body postiton at takeoff which they were great at. like i said there was no finess about it they would hit it HARD as possible, then swing powerfully to keep the pole loaded, then i assume if those two things happen it was smooth sailing from there. another person who i like alot is adam sarafian. check out his video's on media and you will see the same kinda concept.
Last edited by KYLE ELLIS on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:38 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:sorry i keep jumping in and making comments but i cant help it tim and joe were my idols growing up. most polevaulters run 30's flying 30's or 40's for time because you kinda wanna know what your top speed is. because you only hit you top gear for 5-10 meters. in the hundred its decided by who deaccelerate's the least. for the push off thing joe and tim would maximize their energy into the pole and be in excellent postitions to recieve all of that energy back. alot of a good push off is determined by velocity and body postiton at takeoff which they were great at. like i said there was no finess about it they would hit it HARD as possible, then swing powerfully to keep the pole loaded, then i asume if those two things happen it was smooth sailing from there. another person who i like alot is adam sarafian. check out his video's on medi and you will see the same kinda concept.

Tim and Kyle,

Thank you for the great information. I appreciate it. The challenge with their technique is you must have serious intestinal fortitude because of the size of pole used over their body weight.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:47 am

LOL, My biggest pole was a 5 meter 190, and I weighed 138 when in top shape. If I planted it without swinging, it put me back on the front buns. I am not saying our method was the best, but it was effective. I think that the quality of a vault can be measured by whether or not the athlete penetrates more when they execute the jump than they do when they bail out.

rodeojoe74
PV Newbie

Unread postby rodeojoe74 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Tim, where can we find some video footage of you and Joe?

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:46 am

I coached myself for the last third of my carrer, so there was nobody to hold the camera. I have three good VHS videos of decent jumps and that's it. I have heard that there is one on Neovault of me at the first beach vault. But I have to warn you that I had mono at that meet and weighed about 130 and was running 2 miles per hour down the runway. I am sure that there are more floating around. If anyone has some and would post them, I would really appreciate it.

I am trying to get back into some kind of shape since I turn 40 next year. Hopefully I will be able to jump at the summit. As soon as I can do anything half way decent, I will take some pictures and post them. :)

The best videos of Joe are at the end of Don Hood's instructional video. He's running about a million miles per hour and makes 19' by forever. There are a lot of those out there, and it may still be for sale.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”