Speed or Strength?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
UWvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: post collegiate vaulter, high school coach,
Lifetime Best: 18'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby UWvaulter » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:49 pm

What do you all think of this...? Vault energy is all about how fast your top hand travels. If it accelerates down the runway until the plant and rapidly slows down at the plant then energy is lost. If you move the top hand/top of the pole after take off, and you don't swing, then the top hand isn't moving as quickly as it can. If your trail leg cocks back, hipflexor stretches to it's max, and a dynamic acceleration occurs with the trail leg, then you are maintaining the potential of the vault. When the long trail leg swings and applies torque on the hips this helps swing the torso to vertical and lightens the load on the vaulters lats(row muscles). Try doing a Bubka without bending at the waist. Isn't it harder?

I think speed is number one, then technique, then strength. If your upper body is more developed than your lower body, you will be slower than if your upper body was smaller. If your upper body is stronger, then you will be slow. If you are slow, then your technique will not be as dynamicly powerful as it can. When you are fast, your technique will be fast. Build your body composition, get the technique, then you can successfully acheive pole speed(top hand) on the ground and through the air.

Karolien
PV Newbie

Unread postby Karolien » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:32 am

[quote="KYLE ELLIS"]im not a an expert on physics but i thought once your foot leaves contact with the ground you cant create any more energy? quote]

Even though your foot isn't touching the ground, the pole you are holding is. You can apply a force to the pole, which then applies a force to the ground which then 'gives' force back in an equal amount and opposite direction.

OK, so..it's late at night and i can't sleep so the following paragraph probably doesn't make any sense and is a bit off....If i were you, I wouldn't read this...

I tried thinking back to my physics class but it's been a bit too long. I still have my old cheat sheet and it says that Energy=Potential Energy + Kinetic Energy. Potential Energy=mgh which I think means mass times gravity times height so you deffinatly have that in the air... As for Kinetic that equals 1/2mv^2 and I'm not sure but I think v stands for velocity. So for Kinetic Energy I think you can increase your velocity by applying a force to the pole (with your arms) and then it will give you equal force back in the opposite direction thus giving you velocity.
yeah....I have a feeling I have something wrong in there...

Is it even possible to create energy? I think you can just transfer it or something?

Karolien
PV Newbie

Unread postby Karolien » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:43 am

UWvaulter wrote:What do you all think of this...? Vault energy is all about how fast your top hand travels. If it accelerates down the runway until the plant and rapidly slows down at the plant then energy is lost. If you move the top hand/top of the pole after take off, and you don't swing, then the top hand isn't moving as quickly as it can.

I've never really thought of how fast my top hand is traveling...energy is not lost when your top hand slows, it's transfered...you are applying pressure down the length of the pole..."loading the pole". Your top hand should not only stop moving forward but even go backwards, just look at pictures of good plants.

OK, now it's getting really late for me and my brain has stopped wurkng...

baggettpv
PV Master

action in the vault

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:55 am

Boy you guys are getting real technical...Thinks about this, the pole is the supporting member and the vaulter is going to rotate around this support. If at any time the vaulter is not applying force on the support then the body will not be rotating/moving in any prescibed motion. Like doing a free hip to handstand on the high bar. No pause, no hang, no passive time!

rick baggett
WSTC LC

baggettpv
PV Master

Oh yeah...

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:57 am

The goal in the free hip handstand is to have thebar bend up when you hit the handstand. Which means that you are pulling the bar vertically thru the handstand. Added Force.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

utownpv
PV Newbie

utownpv

Unread postby utownpv » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:35 pm

I think that being strong is a good key to vaulting. Some people can be good at one or the other and also it is just on how you use it. I know for myself im always told that i use to much muscle in my jumps, and i think thats true. I am 160 pounds 5'11 and i bench press 255 pounds and jump 14'7.

Also if you look at jumpers that do short runs in pratice they are not able to produce much speed from four lefts but they can still put out a good hieght because there using a good take off and muscle. Last year at state there is a jumper the jumped 15'6 for third place and he was slow as heck but he had a great plant and was strong. I asked him how does he jump that high with no speed he said " all i work on is a good take off and lift weights, take offs are the main key. If you can take off you can do what ever you want."

utownpv
IM me at utowno7

14'7

AzNJJ
PV Beginner

Unread postby AzNJJ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:00 pm

THe pole vault is all about conversation of energy. I believe strength can best be correlated with force. Force = mass x acceleration. and Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy or mgh = 1/2mv^2, the mass can be canceled out leaving the velocity as the only contributor to energy. Also in the force equation, acceleration is velocity/time thus, you cannot have one without the other. However, clearly velocity is the major and most important in the pole vault.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:22 pm

AzNJJ wrote:THe pole vault is all about conversation of energy. I believe strength can best be correlated with force. Force = mass x acceleration. and Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy or mgh = 1/2mv^2, the mass can be canceled out leaving the velocity as the only contributor to energy. Also in the force equation, acceleration is velocity/time thus, you cannot have one without the other. However, clearly velocity is the major and most important in the pole vault.

Strength is just one tool to produce/provide force. Though strength can produce a good deal of force depending on your personal strength. I would much rather use Muscular Elascity to provide force. When you figure out what that means you will know why. Using the concepts of Elasticity will produce more force than anything you can physically do by pushing or pulling.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 pm

The latest discussion on speed was split and moved here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10300

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Could someone briefly describe what the "pulling" action and "clawing" action is that was described in this thread?

I'm very sorry for my ignorance, but I keep getting confused when these terms are used.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”