My Jump

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
tomg
PV Newbie

Tim McMichael's vault

Unread postby tomg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:17 am

:idea: :idea: :idea: For all you vaulter want-to-be's (and coaches), I will share with you the secrets of Tim McMichael's vault (he will get a kick out of this). ;) He was staying at my house (he was in his late 20's at the time) and my wife and I both saw him comming out of the shower with just a towel around his waist. We both noticed the same thing: From the front, he looked like your average high school vaulter. From the back, he looked like a world class body builder. To this day, I have never seen the development of the muscles he had between his shoulder blades on another human being. :eek: To see his plant (or "takeoff" to you young guys) in person was a mind blower. It was also an optical illusion. Even on the video, it looks like he maintains a significant amount of pressure upward on the pole with his left arm. The truth is he felt the pressure of his left arm on the pole for only a fraction of a second. Almost all of the pressure he felt from the pole was in his right arm pit, which then transitioned to a feeling of all the force being in his back between his shoulder blades. :dazed: The story is: At Oklahoma he used to go into the weight room, and the football players thought he must have gotten lost, until he did "rows" with the entire stack of weights on the machine. Because he knew he had the muscle structure to handle it, he has run hard through the box on every vault I have ever seen him take. Don't let him tell you he wasn't fast, because he was as quick and as aggressive at the box as anybody. :P By trying to copy the vaults of Jeff Buckingham and Joe Dial, he tailored his vault to his skill set and his body (he couldn't copy them exactly because Buckingham took off significantly underneath for leverage and almost never penetrated past the box, and Dial was so much faster any vaulter). :mad: Tim wasn't a daredevil or a lunatic, he planted big poles because he knew exactly what he wanted to do and he developed the body to do it. As a freshman in high school, he held the top of a 14'140 lb pole (it was the smallest pole the school had). I doubt he was any more than 5'6" and 120 pounds at the time. :star: :star: :star: There is only one other "secret" to his vault that you need to know. Everyone who knows him knows that he is a devout Christian and he understands that God has blessed him with the ability and opportunity to do what he does for a greater purpose than just clearing a bar or winning the NCAA championship (which he did). He has never taken drugs of any kind and he has beaten plenty of guys who did. When you see his vault on video, you are not watching just a vault, you are watching a calling. He never jumped just for what he got out of it. :star: :star: :star: If you want to jump like you see in the video (or coach someone who will), now you know how he did it. :) :) :)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:34 am

^^ Post of the week ^^

:)

Boy Wonder
PV Newbie

Unread postby Boy Wonder » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:23 pm

Ditto to that... Tim is a great guy, and when you put God first... Great things can happen!

Go with God... Jump high!
"Everytime I jump, I feel a little closer to God"

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:16 pm

Once again, thanks for the kind words. tomg is exactly right about the feel of a powerful pull being transferred from my right armpit to my lats. I know it looks like I am pushing up on the pole with my left arm, but I am not. The pole is running ahead of me, and that is pulling my arm out. I am not pushing it out. If you were to see my plant from behind, you would see that my left arm is slightly bent to the side at takeoff allowing it to come back over my head and transferring the pressure to my right arm. I use this pressure to pull on the pole and accelerate my swing while still keeping my hips low and behind the pole through the first half of the penetration phase. This is a key to getting on big poles with this technique.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:56 pm

I also want to comment on the issue of my faith. I try not to be pushy about it, and I know that this forum is not meant for the discussion of such things, but since it has been brought up, I feel I have to acknowledge that without my Christian faith I would not have been able to accomplish anything in this sport. I am not saying this to be modest or humble; it is a simple fact. There were many times when the physical and mental pain became too great to bear, and it was during those times that my faith sustained me and helped me to continue in spite of the circumstances. With the injuries and illnesses and depressions and fights against drugs and temptations to use them and the nights training alone in the dark after the night shift had ended and the practices that ended with my hands and feet bleeding, there is no way I could have survived it on my own. No way at all.

One night after a brutal no-height at the L.A. Times meet, I was flying home, sick and exhausted. One of the other athletes in the meet was sitting beside me, and he started talking to me about my career as I looked out the window and tried to tune him out. He told me that he knew I couldn’t make it in the professional ranks because of my stand against taking drugs and that he was sorry that my career was going to end this way. He told me that it was sad to see me suffer and that everybody thought of me as some little guy who just enjoyed jumping, and that was how I should be remembered. He said, “Every dog has his day in the sun, and you have already had yours. The problem with you is that you are a dreamer, and no matter how bad things get, you always think that it will get better tomorrow. If you stay here long enough and you see that your day in the sun is over, you will lie, cheat, and steal to get it back.â€Â
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

faith

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:29 pm

great post! Thank you for it!

tmilhon
PV Beginner

Unread postby tmilhon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:22 pm

success without purpose is empty. failure without purpose is a waste of time. thanks for sharing Tim, your words will help many people through problems that are bigger than pole vaulting.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:58 pm

I reposted the video on PV Power, since Putfile has to be the worst video sharing site ever.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/media/vid ... .php#other

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”