video review for "depvaulter"

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

video review for "depvaulter"

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:10 pm

Meet 12'6":
http://home.comcast.net/~skyshark177/im ... te126a.wmv

Practice 15' bunge:
http://home.comcast.net/~skyshark177/images/pete15a.wmv

Athlete info:
Sophmore
PR: 14'
hight: 6'
155lbs
pole: 14'7" 170 spirit or 14'6" 165 skypole
hand grip 14'1"
take off step: 11'9"
mid: 49'
SKYSHARKS

TylerPorter11
PV Fan
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby TylerPorter11 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:41 pm

nice helmet
Tyler Porter
Class of 2010(HS)
PR 16'7.1/4" (5.05)

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:59 pm

On both vaults, the swing was not finished by inverting, instead, the 'V' position was attained. Continue swinging until inverted, THEN go for the bar.

LogIc
PV Fan

Unread postby LogIc » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:28 pm

i agree. you give up on swinging back. it looks like you will finish it. but you dont. and when you get to that position make sure you keep your back to the bar. you look like you are shooting for the bar. you keep your back to the bar as long as passable. and at the last second you turn. you will get like and extra 1 foot outa your vault.
~>[LogIc]<~

WA Vaulters: It's What We Do

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:40 pm

The swing stops because the grip is too high for the amount of run way speed. Drop your grip 6" and work on covering the pole better. Also, the takeoff and plant mechanics in the meet are much better than the practice. Work on executing these things more consistently and the swing will naturally improve.

apsully
PV Fan

Unread postby apsully » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:21 am

I agree completely with what Barto said, however, if you fix just one thing, you can forget about lowering your grip at all.

His problem begins as soon as he leaves the ground. Immediately after take-off, his hips have already been "sucked" in towards the box. This is exactly what NOT to do. As we are all taught in PV 101 as little youngins, the ideal take off position is "the C". If you don't know what I'm talkin about, this means: leading with your chest and holding your trail leg BACK, therfore creating the aforementioned "C".

The reason for doing this is so that you can WHIP (notice word choicage...whip indicating a quick/violent movement) a straight trail leg all the way to the pole. Its just like kicking a soccer ball. after you hit the C position, bend your trail at the knee ver slightly, then kick it back down like you're goin for a 400 yd field goal attempt, haha.

If you do that, you will get to the pole faster than you even think is possible. At THAT point is when you want to invert. If you can get that whip down, and make sure that you use it to its fullest (aka, once you get to the pole..drop your shoulders, dont just sit) I guarantee you'll PR by at LEAST a foot.
"Grip it 'n' rip it"

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:00 pm

This vault is a classic example of the "tuck and shoot" and is a fatally flawed technique, (as opposed to what I described in my Oklahoma Manifesto - no Agapit, I have not fully repented).

Anyway, regarding this particular jump, no amount of effort can help you get up the pole after your hips stall out. You have to create much more energy at takeoff to make things work. All of the difficulties you are experiencing at the top of your vault are caused by things happening just before and just after you leave the ground. The pole has to free fall into the box as your hands go up. This will allow you to get much taller at takeoff and will pull your step further out so the pole does not begin to load as early as it currently does. If you stop-frame this jump at the instant the pole begins to bend, you will see that your takeoff leg is bent, your center of gravity is low, and your foot is practically nailed to the runway. Your plant could literally be almost a foot higher with a proper concept and execution of your run and plant. The bottom line is that you need to get your mind off of what is going wrong at the top of your vault and focus on the causes of the problem, which are in your approach and plant mechanics.

Skyshark, with your permission, I am going to post a link to this jump on my manifesto to show what I mean by a "tuck and shoot" as opposed to the more adequate jump that I described there. I think it will help clarify the differences. If you want me to remove that link I will be happy to.
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:09 pm

When talking to Tim Mack at the olympic training center after he jumped 5.86 this summer, Tim told me that he never thinks about any reverse C position or anything like that. He says that the result of a good tall run, a quick takeoff, an on takeoff or slightly out takeoff, and a great tall reach at contact is in fact the C position. He, however, never thinks about putting himself in that position and in fact tries to get out of it as quickly as possible by throwing his hands forward as quickly and as hard as possible. I think this is a much better method of leaving the ground than teaching kids to try to attain the reverse C position off the ground, since the position is still attained, but instead through the right methods. Thoughts?

p.s. Tim's C position below

"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Just wanted to share some of my experiences on a this topic. I was told to "try to keep the trail leg back" or "delay the trail leg." These comments never helped me to really extend my trail leg and get a full take off. So I completely agree. It always confused me why some vaulters would put so much emphasis on hold a reverse C position. I found that it just simply comes naturally.

Those are just my thoughts

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:40 pm

I agree completely with these last two observations. The reverse C is a result, not a cause.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:47 pm

sooch90 wrote:It always confused me why some vaulters would put so much emphasis on hold a reverse C position.

Anytime you "hold" a position you waste energy and prevent energy transfer because holding is STATIC. I personally want to KEEP MOVING through out the vault. Holding a position is the equivalent of driving the bottom IMHO. Useless and unnecessary.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Tim doesn't think sbout it because it's virtually impossible to. If you thought about each move in your jump while jumping, you'd probably end up in a position you don't want to be in. The 'C' position is attained as long as all the other parts of the vault before it happen correctly.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”