Bending around crossbar? whats the best way over

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
CavVaulter99
PV Beginner

Bending around crossbar? whats the best way over

Unread postby CavVaulter99 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:18 pm

In the video im attempting 13'6 and all attemps looked just like this one

http://www.treemo.com/users/CavVaulter9 ... em/249753/

im 5'5ish 135lb holding about 12'6 on a 13' 165

it looks like i had the height until my chest got to the bar.. any advice on how to better turn over the crossbar? would it have been possible for me to clear the bar with this jump if i did anything diffrent at the top?

thanks.
Who ever said height matterd in Pole Vault?

PR 13'

VaultHouse.com

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:25 am

It's not really about "how" to turn over the bar. It's hard to see what you were doing during the initial stages of the vault since there were some people in the way, but it looks like you just lost energy toward the top. That could be a number of things (soft pole, late plant, bent trail leg, etc.)

Your turn looks fine. The primary focus should be whether or not you are still moving up when you leave the pole, cheating gravity. What can you do improve on that? What you do at take off and through the swing will determine what you will look like over the bar.

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:14 am

Your extension is merely just putting your feet up, rather than driving your hips up and your shoulders down. Consequently, you're in an L-shape as the pole recoils, so you never fully exploit it. If you were to extend straight up so that you stay tight to the pole, you would surely have made that. As for clearance technique, you turn a little bit late, but that's a product of what I just explained.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”