Sutter Vaulter - 02/21/09

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
TheBlueShadow
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School Volunteer Coach, Fan, Novice Masters Vaulter

Sutter Vaulter - 02/21/09

Unread postby TheBlueShadow » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Greetings! I am a vault coach at Sutter High School in Northern Calif.

Can you give me any advice regarding my vaulter on this attempt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW7LGjDIEgA

More info:
Grade: 12th
How long you have been jumping: 4 years ... 3 years without coaching, .5 year with coaching.
What pole you are on (length and weight rating): 14' - 170 lbs
How high you are gripping: 13'9"
What bar(s) you are attempting in the video: 14'
It's the journey, not the arrival ... that's what I'm all about. -The Reverend Horton Heat

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Sutter Vaulter - 02/21/09

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:37 pm

He'd have an excellent approach run if it weren't for the poor carry... How wide is his grip? His hands get way out in front of him during a relatively horizontal pole carry, and so at the plant, everything slows way down. Critiquing the rest of the jump is almost irrelevant.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:39 am

Dane is a strong boy that uses his strength to compensate for his poor technique.

Despite holding the pole in front of him for most of his run, his plant is under, and he gets jerked on takeoff.

Instead of swinging with a long, sweeping trail leg, he immediately starts tucking into a ball, and he has sufficient forwards momentum to carry himself up and over the bar.

There are issues with his run/plant but I'll let others comment on (PP already has).

He should also work on a better forwards lean on takeoff, and then swinging "properly".

It's easiest to learn how to swing with a long trail leg on the highbar or rings.

He has the speed and strength, and he'll get a few more feet (16'+) in his jump with a better takeoff/swing.

That's not to say that he shouldn't also work on his run/plant.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

TheBlueShadow
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School Volunteer Coach, Fan, Novice Masters Vaulter

Unread postby TheBlueShadow » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:03 am

Thanks for your replies.

His grip is a bit wider than his waist.

I will work on his pole carry. Thanks for pointing that out.

For some reason his plant was under the whole day. Normally he has a really good plant with his hand in line with his toes. Not sure what was going on this day.
It's the journey, not the arrival ... that's what I'm all about. -The Reverend Horton Heat

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby Vault Chick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Hey Blue Shadow!

My advice would be to really get him to jump off the ground. In the video it kind of looks like he is more running through it at take off and lettint the pole just take him up, causing his hips to come right in at the takeoff. Other than that I would just say to keep having him pull up the pole as he is turning, instead of letting his feet drop out towards the bar...Hope this helps! Good Luck!
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”