Weird Pole Break

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
fx
PV Whiz

Weird Pole Break

Unread postby fx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Check out when the pole breaks in the second half of this video. I've never seen a pole break during such a late part of the jump before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_uOcoKF3s

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Weird Pole Break

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:07 am

wow that one is a pretty strange break... even for there being a crack in the pole, don't they usually break when the pole is under the most amount of stress? This pole had already been unbending for a little....

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 am

i think it means there was a crack on the expansion side of the pole. as the pole bends, the crack opened up, somehow still resiliant enough to not break then, but as the pole recoils and the crack closes rapidly it actually butts into itself putting more stress on that "ring" where the crack was located.

Jeff Watry, the engineer for pacer, was explaining something like that to me once. I may be remembering wrong but, thats my thought off hand
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello

Uncommon break…..

You “might’ determine a cause by looking at the break, if it was on the compression or stretch side? Would be a clue but not necessarily and answer… Or see if the break was at a ‘weak” point like the corner of a sail piece?? AND sometimes the poles get run over by a fork lift and show no damage other than the box…

My choice would be damage # 1 or sail piece corner..

dj

vaultbilly
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 495
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby vaultbilly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 pm

That was me in the video. The pole was really old (+8 years) and had scuffs all over it. It did not have any deep scratches, but was a lightweight pole for me. At that time I was struggling and really trying to muscle the vault. Things were not going naturally. I was trying to really pull through on a light weight pole.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”