Pointers Please?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
polevaulter811
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Pointers Please?

Unread postby polevaulter811 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Last saturday i jumped a PR of 13 feet on a huge pole (it was 14ft 170 and i weigh 145). I know that if i can improve my technique especially at the top, i can acheive much greater heights, hopefully 14 plus feet by the time districts and states come around. There was little to no wind on this day, i was on a seven step, and have never jumped on this pole before, but i now love the new pole. Standards were around 24. I know that I am not getting fully inverted and this is stopping my invert, i am looking for some solutions to this problem, and any critiquing about any part of the vault would be greatly appreciated. Ive been vaulting for just over a year.

Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZgbKEUkKRY

again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Re: Pointers Please?

Unread postby bel142 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:54 am

Morning,

In terms of things that you do well, it is hard to see because of the camera angle but, looks like you are running quick, and things are moving well.

If you could fix one thing i would talk about your drive knee. If you watch your foot placement at take off it comes off of the ground and rotates forward.

One of the goals of the drive knee to raise the center of mass and start energy moving upward to achieve the maximal height at take off. If you can drive the foot straight up in line with your spine, rather than up in front of you energy is going be put to a better use. Try jumping up off the ground off one leg without driving the other knee up, then try jumping while driving the knee up and jumping... one of those is easier than the other...

We are looking for the foot right under the bum just before pole hit, then we are looking for an acute "figure 4" position with the drive knee directly after take off as that foot comes straight up and the knee is pointed. If you watch really elite guys they cycle through their last step is right next to their bum... this is what I would like to see with your vault... One way to feel this or at least put your self into a position similar to take off... Do a high knee running drill with your knees/thighs at parallel to the ground, while squeezing your heal to your bum...

It takes a small manipulation of your pelvis/hips to get your knees high as well as pull your heals up....

Hope that helps
cheers,
bel

polevaulter811
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13 0
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby polevaulter811 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks alot, will definitely try to work on the drive knee at practice. Any advice for getting back fully and extending. I know my coach and I have been talking about how i would go much higher if i do not sit in the L position, and i knee to get my head and shoulders back. Any thoughts or keys to ammending this? Again, any other advice is also appreciated.

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.73
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 am

i completley agree that your drive knee is lacking we have a vaulter in oure school that does the same thing, i think your speed is what is really getting you in and over because if you watch about half way up or so you drop what drive knee you have and it stops your inversion, then you have to muscle it to get your drive knee back up with your trail leg. by doing thing you are stoping all you are working for, if you can continue your drive knee as already stated i think you will see some good improvments :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”