3 left session yesterday...

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Re: 3 left session yesterday...

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:36 am

powerplant42 wrote:Are you finishing your take-off? (Is your toe pointing back down the runway when you leave the ground?)

Are you pulling?

Is your drive-knee staying up?

Yes,
No,
Yes.

LOL. Sorry, i really should have taken some video.
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:31 pm

If you can do it well in the sand, there's no reason you can't do it well in the box stiff-poling. Treat every vault just like the drill, and approach it with the same mindset.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 pm

BadMotherVaulter wrote: ... As soon as i leave the ground, my hips surge forward and in front of the pole... When i'm trying to keep my trail leg back and just basically hold that C-position. ...

I'm not sure how clearer I can be about this point ... THERE IS NO PAUSE!

Do NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT ... "hold that C-position". That is ONLY a position that you should see in a single frame of your stop-action vid. It is NOT a position that you should hold. It's ONLY a position that you PASS THRU!

There's a very good reason for this, but I'm not going to just blurt it out. Instead, you must do some research ... by searching PVP. I've written about this several times. From the top of my head the words "pause fighting gravity kirk" might be good search words re this topic. Or "gravity pulling you down kirk" or "gravity pulls you down". :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm

KirkB wrote:
BadMotherVaulter wrote: ... As soon as i leave the ground, my hips surge forward and in front of the pole... When i'm trying to keep my trail leg back and just basically hold that C-position. ...

I'm not sure how clearer I can be about this point ... THERE IS NO PAUSE!

Do NOT ... I repeat ... DO NOT ... "hold that C-position". That is ONLY a position that you should see in a single frame of your stop-action vid. It is NOT a position that you should hold. It's ONLY a position that you PASS THRU!

There's a very good reason for this, but I'm not going to just blurt it out. Instead, you must do some research ... by searching PVP. I've written about this several times. From the top of my head the words "pause fighting gravity kirk" might be good search words re this topic. Or "gravity pulling you down kirk" or "gravity pulls you down". :idea:

Kirk

Whoa whoa, i'm not trying to pause... I'm trying to stay behind the pole or whatever you all call it. I'll look that up but i'm not trying to pause and at no time in my actual vaults do i try to pause. Just to be clear... :yes:
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Alright not to double quote but here is what you said....

BadMotherVaulter wrote:Whoa whoa, i'm not trying to pause... I'm trying to stay behind the pole or whatever you all call it.

And here is what i said.... a couple days BEFORE you said that, in this same thread ;)

The only way you will stay behind the pole is by setting up a great free take off. And once the pole makes contact, it's just physics, your hips HAVE to move underneath you. Now you can either resist your hips, but pushing with your hands to keep them back, or ACCELERATE your hips, by whipping your trail leg. If you are trying to "ride it out" its understandable that you would have a frustrating time, because it's not truly possible if you plan on going UP!
[/quote][/quote]

To reiterate.... the whole "stay behind the pole" drill in a REAL vault is only similar until the pole hits the sand/box. You can stay behind the pole as a DRILL by trying to force your hips to stay in a "C", but I wouldn't suggest doing this drill any more than doing the same drill, while trying to accelerate your legs/hips into a swing. The second is just like a real vault, while the former is essential to master only because it forces you into the position you want to be in BEFORE the pole hits the box, and you will only be successful in that drill if you can be behind the pole before it hits the back. But in a real vault, as soon as it hits the back you should not fight your hips, but instead accelerate them. I hope that makes sense....

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:To reiterate.... the whole "stay behind the pole" drill in a REAL vault is only similar until the pole hits the sand/box. You can stay behind the pole as a DRILL by trying to force your hips to stay in a "C", but I wouldn't suggest doing this drill any more than doing the same drill, while trying to accelerate your legs/hips into a swing. The second is just like a real vault, while the former is essential to master only because it forces you into the position you want to be in BEFORE the pole hits the box, and you will only be successful in that drill if you can be behind the pole before it hits the back. But in a real vault, as soon as it hits the back you should not fight your hips, but instead accelerate them. I hope that makes sense....

Well it does now haha. So i was doing it right all along... I was hitting good takeoffs but then my hips would whip through... i was trying to figure out why i couldn't do it, i guess i was almost trying to do a stiff-pole jagodin.

Don't make fun...
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Its ok I've made that mistake before too. Just make sure you completely feel yourself off the ground before the pole hits the back, and that your top hand is directly over your take off foot. From there, your top hand should continue to move forward and your trail leg will move behind you as a result of you jumping well off the ground- you do not try to FORCE it behind you. Then you are "behind the pole" :P

Much easier said than done. Start with a low grip and focus on jumping up, not running fast. Good luck! Take video!!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 am

BadMotherVaulter wrote: When i'm trying to keep my trail leg back and just basically hold that C-position. ...

BadMotherVaulter wrote: Whoa whoa, i'm not trying to pause... I'm trying to stay behind the pole or whatever you all call it.

Well, in my Canadian dictionary, "hold" and "pause" are somewhat synonymous ... but I won't quibble over what is apparently just semantics any longer ... I think 3P0 set you straight! :yes:

I hope you got it now.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”