Need Help Coachless

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
PVGuy89
PV Beginner

Need Help Coachless

Unread postby PVGuy89 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Hey I just got back to a 7L run and cause I dont have many poles. I was on a 5L run with a 14' 3'' 185 and jumped up to a 15' 6'' 175 flex 17.8 on 7L (which is the next pole we have after the 14' 3'' 185)

right now im kinda scared to swing up but it would do wonders for me if you think im getting in deep enough to swing up on the pole

Height: 6' 2''
Weight: 170
Pole: 15' 6'' 175 Flex 17.8
Run: 7L 103'
Grip: ~14' 10'' (I think)
Take off: I believe free :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pH94dyOyuI

And Also I've been working on my bottom arm and top end with a short run.
I believe I 'monkey' my bottom arm and I may be blocking a little not really sure about it I do try to push up with the bottom arm as much as i can.

any help please with anything if you see something else wrong please tell.

Pole: 14' 165
Run: 3L ~44'
grip: ~13'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YamKAgtAEF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikLW7EzQCo

Thanks! :D

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Need Help Coachless

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 pm

I think that if you swing on that first vault from 7L you will come up about 8-12 inches in front of that bungee. However, looking at your take off I think you didn't fully commit to jumping up, because you planned on riding it out. If you commit to a strong take off and do what i suggest below you will smoke that bungee clean, easily. this is what i see:

Takeoff:
You move very nicely on the pole on the 3 steps. However you are never really finishing your take off, and by that i mean leaving the ground completely square. Your hips immediately start moving forward. Work on having your hands pressed up and forward at take off to create as much space between you and the pole as possible. When you leave the ground you should feel like your shoulders are slightly in front of your hips (although in reality they will be in line, but at first it will feel like you are forward). Being in this position allows you to swing longer, and make pit on much bigger poles.

Hands:
After you leave the ground strong and you start to swing, all the weight of the swing should go to your top hand. In a perfect free take off, both hands stay tall and simply resist the impact of the box. However when you hit under, a certain degree of upward pressure with both hands can keep the pole moving before you swing. I would suggest that you press forward and up with both hands at the take off, but once you start to swing, you let all your weight go to your top hand. It takes getting used to, but you should not be pressing with your bottom hand throughout your entire swing, that's how you block out.

Top End:
To get a good top end, make sure you continue to move your hips upward the entire vault. You do this well on your 3steps, but it becomes more difficult from 7. Keep your bottom hand out of the way on the top part of your swing, and bring your hips to your hands as fast as you can, and continue to move them up the pole as you pull hard with both hands.

When you decide to turn it up on your 7L to get on that next pole, just make sure you are fully finishing your take off and hitting it HARD. Stay aware of where you are in the air and don't get too anxious to swing. THEN once you finish your take off, swing fast and hard from your top hand. Keep your eye on the bungee so you know if you should bail. I think you'll be ok though.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

PVGuy89
PV Beginner

Re: Need Help Coachless

Unread postby PVGuy89 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks.

I was wondering i thought that you shouldn't push forward when hitting the box when planting. I thought you must always and only push upwards with the plant. however i've been having trouble with that cause I dont think i have enough 'strength' to push my bottom hand up to bend the pole when taking all that force when hitting the box. (I used to be a big fiber head aka bottom hand on my forehead.)

and i cant tell if im swinging to add all the pressure to the top hand. will I feel the difference or will it show up on the video?

Work on having your hands pressed up and forward at take off

thanks ill try working on the take off with a forward and up pressure and to finish my take off.

i think ill try to swing on the pole sometime this week.

thanks again. :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”