13' vault, input please

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
11kalnmitc
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.73
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

13' vault, input please

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 pm

this is the 3rd time in competition i have cleared 13' and it's by a decent amount. unfortunately my run was really inconsistant and all three of my 13'6'' attempts ended in bail outs. anyways i was on a 14' 170. unfortunately you can't really see my plant. however i know it was weak, mine usually are, i'm still working on that :confused: . so any input on the jump would be apperticiated
thanks
oh and if you click the image i think it will take you to the page to watch it, if not post and let me know, it worked in preview format :)

brennanalcantara
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Adrian Ruark

Re: 13' vault, input please

Unread postby brennanalcantara » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:35 am

I would work on your 'row' and pull turn phase. i think your left arm could be stronger on your takeoff, but your chest drive is pretty good. after your takeoff you sat on the pole and you can see your butt sink if you watch closely. it looks to me like you jumped and tried to hug the pole to force inversion.

just opinion... im a fellow high school vaulter, so take it with a grain of salt.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 am

What was on the video looked pretty good. You must realize however that we need to see the run up, plant, and take off aspects of the jump to give us a better understanding of the jump. I don't mean to pick, but .........
I would work on your 'row' and pull turn phase. i think your left arm could be stronger

is a dangerous thing to focus on because there are a gazillion threads that contradict this recommendation. Back to your video, without a complete jump sequence, we can't tell if you are running tall, planting tall, taking off out or in (which run up dictates) etc. Keep in mind if there is an issue with a certain aspect of the vault "chain of events" it's usually because the event or two or three preceding it have a problem. Get us a full jump so we can see and help you. Later...............Mike

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:20 pm

thanks,
i know it's better with the run up but i my friend's dad recorded it so it's what i got. from what my coach told me i was running tall but was a little under which also normal for me. as for my left arm it is a weak part of my vault, as said still working on it. Lastly as for hugging the pole to get inverted it happens about half the time, from what i understand whenever i am under at takeoff my hips get sucked under and i thrust my hips into the pole to help get inverted, when ever i take off on though i have a decent trail leg and don't get sucked under as easily. thanks for your input, if anyone has had these problems let me know what you did off the runways to improve them, :)
thanks

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Study, learn and apply DJ's mid mark chart and your inconsistency on the run up will correct itself. Next, get BTB and the video and do the stiff pole drills in the first couple of chapters. It will enforce a tall plant and take off. Once you get that the swing and inversion just happens (sort of) I've got a fellow coach at my club that can do a plant take of, inversion and clearance with just the right arm. I'm not saying that's what you want to do but instead I brought it up to point out left arm doesn't really do that much. Read the long thread in the advanced section that talks about what the left arm does. It might clear up some questions for you. Later.........Mike

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 am

Mike's nailed most of what I would have said, but also ...

1. By the time you appear on the right of the vid, you're already "sucked under" quite a bit. By that point in the vault, you should have already finished your pre-stretch and started your downswing. Therefore, you should already be "dropping away" from the pole. Instead, you're still "fiber-faced" ... and appear to be passively just "hanging there". You can't be passive ... you need to "MAKE it happen".

It's not QUITE as easy as Mike suggests ... you have to work on this ... it doesn't just "happen". :idea: But I definitely agree with Mike that if you do everything up to this point a little better, then it will "happen" a lot easier (and a lot more "automatically") than if you have big flaws up to and including takeoff.

2. Your pole looks awfully soft. I doubt if that's just becuz of your phenomenal run [sorry for the sarcasim ]. ;) Rather, it's becuz you're using too soft of a pole!

Before you try to go onto a stiffer pole, I'd play around a bit (expirement) with your trail leg downswing/whip. It will be much easier to get the hang of this on a soft pole. Then, once you "got it", start moving up to a heavier pole ... becuz if you delay going to a stiffer pole for too long, you'll break it with just a little technique improvement.

Move up poles SLOWLY ... slow enough to retain the "good" technique you'll learn on the softer poles. ALWAYS technique over pole stiffness!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm

thanks kirk,
and that pole was a 14' 170, i weigh 155, thats the first jump i ever took on a pole that heavy and then like i said the next three jumps i stalled out on because my run was so inconsistant that night :crying: .

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”