5.05 bungee from a 4 step

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Re: 5.05 bungee from a 4 step

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:55 am

So today I measured the standards and realized that the bungee in all my practice videos before have been at 5.20m not 5m the 4.90m video the bungee is around 5m though. Today I was really sore because I just started lifting free weights yesterday. I have been using resistance bands instead of weights. Now I am mixing the two together. I also had been doing a vault circuit before this jump. So I think I am doing pretty good and am still improving really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_b6PzDxA7Y

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:18 am

AVC Coach wrote:polevaulter2012,

I like your run and your take-off except for your head position. You seem to run into the plant well, but your center of focus is the bottom of the box and you duck your head. In my opinion, that starts a chain reaction. You kill the pole speed quite a bit when you have to initiate your swing by leaning back. This also causes your hands to move way out in front and you can't connect with the pole. The pole then can't move to vertical and you cartwheel off the top.

First I want to say you are strong and fast using a pole like that from a 3-Left that long. Nice work! How tall are you?

As for critiquing, what AVC Coach said above is your sole problem in my book. You're cranking that head down at take-off and everything after that falls apart. The head down is causing you to block, not get a full pre-stretch in your take-off and then your swing is slow and your trail leg has to bend to speed it up...... It's also causing your whole vault to move straight in instead of UP and in. Keep that head neutral at take-off and this will allow your shoulders to rotate, hands move over head and chest move into the "pocket". You'll be able to hit that full pre-stretch and rip a fast swing with a straight trail leg all the way. Plus your vault will move UP and in as it should.

It's amazing what little things can kill in a vault.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 pm

I would also suggest going down a pole until you figure out what AVC and superpipe are talking about. Right now you are having to come out early to make pit because the pole is unbending before you are ready for it, and a little before it reaches vertical. Until you are blowing through a 14' 170 and have made the changes you need to make (what AVC and superpipe are talking about), I would work on it on a slightly smaller pole. Not that you are in real danger vaulting the way you are, but you aren't connected with the pole as long as you should be because it's not quite making vertical, forcing you to flag at the end. You will definitely be on the 175 with a better head position and more powerful swing, but you don't want to form any bad habits of coming out early.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:04 pm

I am 6' 155-160 lbs right now which is a big weight drop from last year being 175- 180lbs. I think me eating a little better and doing resistance band lifting for a few months have really slimmed me up. I am not starving myself or anything. I eat more then I was last year actually. I feel great and I am going to be getting even stronger and faster now that i am adding free weights, hurdle drills, and sprint training along with the resistance training and my pole vault training.
As for critiquing, what AVC Coach said above is your sole problem in my book. You're cranking that head down at take-off and everything after that falls apart. The head down is causing you to block, not get a full pre-stretch in your take-off and then your swing is slow and your trail leg has to bend to speed it up...... It's also causing your whole vault to move straight in instead of UP and in. Keep that head neutral at take-off and this will allow your shoulders to rotate, hands move over head and chest move into the "pocket". You'll be able to hit that full pre-stretch and rip a fast swing with a straight trail leg all the way. Plus your vault will move UP and in as it should.

Yeah, I agree that my head should be neutral. I have been working on this. It has been a bad habit and I am starting to break it. I hope to not be doing it at all here soon. With all bad habits it takes a while to kick it, but progression towards kicking it is better then not trying. :yes: I have felt the difference when my head is up and I do feel like I am in better position, so i know how important it is. Thanks. I am glad to hear peoples thoughts. Oh have you watched my other videos on here. If you click the youtube link for this 3 step jump and just click on my youtube name Elliott1pv you can watch all my videos I have uploaded. I have been trying to improve my swing this year because I use to start tucking way before the cord, so if you have time to look at those I would appreciate it.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Until you are blowing through a 14' 170

I actually went up to the 175 because i went right through the 14' 170. Then I went to the 175 and had some jumps were i went deeper into the pit. This is the last jump I took. I agree with you though that the 170 according to this video I should have dropped down a pole.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Good advice from all you guys.

I have the privilege of vaulting with Scott, and have not commented much on this thread because I get the chance to talk to him in person. I agree that he could use a slightly smaller pole when working on technique changes. However, Scott is so powerful on the run and takeoff that he blows through a 14' 170, even a 14' 175, from 3 lefts, and often blows through the 14'6 175 from 4 lefts. On the 14' poles he pretty much just jumps over the pole, they barely bend at all. His stiff-pole stay-behind grip is almost 14', and he can swing above his grip and invert on a stiff pole gripping above 13'.
The other day he accidentally grabbed the 14'6 175 at the top from 3 lefts (he thought it was the 14' 175), and stood the thing up no problem. That pole really is pretty small for him from 4, he has stood up a 14'6 190 from that run.

He is trying to transition from a "block and break" vaulter to a "swing to inversion" vaulter, and doesn't quite have the timing down yet. I agree wholeheartedly about the head position at takeoff causing a block, early bend in the pole, and delay in his swing. He also is accustomed to tucking up under the pole, so now he is trying to swing up over the pole but hasn't seamlessly connected his swing to his upward hip drive (yet). I think that when he gets to the top of his swing he is trying to "straighten up the pole and wait" like a tuck/shooter rather that "drive the hips above the pole" like a swing vaulter.

Maybe we should pick a target on the rear wall for him to focus on at the takeoff instead of the box? Or maybe he should try to "find" his bottom hand after takeoff?

Either way, this kid is a beast and has the potential to jump VERY high. We are lucky to have him training with our group this year, he sets a great example for the kids on mastery and dedication to drills. This is a testament to his mentor, Dan "the man" West!

Tom

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:37 pm

tsorenson wrote:The other day he accidentally grabbed the 14'6 175 at the top from 3 lefts (he thought it was the 14' 175), and stood the thing up no problem.

I love this! Coming from someone who over-thinks the vault waaayy too much when I'm on the runway, I would never allow myself to make this mistake. But that's actually a BAD thing! I wish I had the ability to just shut my mind off and pick up any pole i wanted and plant it!

Keep at it, and eventually you will find what works by pure repetition. A good cue that AVC coach would say to me when I vaulted with him(and this might help), is everything in the vault goes up. Hands push up at the plant, drive knee up, body up, head up, and when you swing... hips around-and-up. Maybe that helps a little.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:14 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: A good cue that AVC coach would say to me when I vaulted with him(and this might help), is everything in the vault goes up. Hands push up at the plant, drive knee up, body up, head up, and when you swing... hips around-and-up. Maybe that helps a little.

Yeah that actually does help. I think I am trying to swing out, instead of up. This is my first year having any kind of swing so its all new positions for me. I understand how the swing is supposed to look but I just dont know how it feels. What really sucks is I have no high bar, pull up bar, or anything to do drills on.

Thanks tom for all the positive comments. I enjoy jumping and coaching with you guys.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-gr8Xg66aQ
3 step working on swinging and keeping my hips moving.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”