New practice video with my new camera

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Re: New practice video with my new camera

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:28 am

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 am

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Looks great scott! keep that swing long a little longer for more penetration, and be more explosive when you release your top hand, trying to pop the hips a little higher when you pike.
Tom

jbelokur
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 9
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby jbelokur » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Really, you are looking great. That 15' clearance was nice.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the great comments! :yes: Thanks Tom, I will be there at summit next week!! Cant wait! Vaulting alone is hard to do. I vault tomorrow and my friend that vaults for UW noticed I am being passive with my arms in the middle of my swing. I have a lot to work on but tomorrow should be a better practice since I will be more use to the pole. Hope you all enjoy the videos.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 am

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Nice job! It seems like your best ones are the ones where you get a good vertical lift on your takeoff. I think you can integrate your turn into your hip extension a little sooner, getting you around the pole and helping you stay in line with the pole longer..? Nice job on being more explosive with the pike!

Tom

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:50 pm

yeah the extension turn phase is what I am having trouble with. I dont know what it feels like so I am having trouble hitting it. I will be watching a ton of video and really watching it so I fully understand it. I still need to get my trail leg swinging straight to the top though. I want to be able to do that so bad! :D

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:56 pm

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Nice jumps. During the inversion try pulling through so far that a natural quarter turn happens, also try to shoot your feet to one o'clock position and stay in a slight pike so your feet don't fall out so much. I see you are pulling nice and tight to your body but you are not turning and pushing straight down the pole this is because you arch your back and let your feet fall. You will find it easier to do this properly the better you jump up at take off. I agree with you that you can have a straight bottom arm and get inverted however right know you are either blocking your inversion or you are not strong enough to get inverted with a straight bottom arm. Try to get stronger by doing bar work and try to drive your top arm through the box to accelerate the swing by putting the force in the top arm the pole will rise allowing you to push off higher from your top hand.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:46 pm

hey thanks for the advice!I will really work on keeping my legs going back and up. As for my swing I dont think strength is my issue. This is the first year I have ever even had a swing, so I think I am just doing stuff wrong. My swing feels good until right after the cord and I feel like I lose pressure and need to tuck so I can stay with the pole. I use to tuck before I even reached the cord, so I have had a lot of improvement, but I agree that I am blocking out my swing. My shoulders can be more relaxed at take off. When you have a good swing can you describe what it feels like and what your arms are doing?

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:33 am

Personally I do not have a long swing because I am always holding a ft and a half from the top of the pole and when i swing long I can not get a continues chain of motion. However as soon as my trail leg gets to my top hand I drop my shoulders and kick to the one o'clock position as fast as possible (it is the same kick that is in a free hip circle) this has always resulted in a big push off for me. I can swing long but when I do the only way for me to successfully swing fast enough to get inverted is to feel myself drive through the box with my top arm. This accelerates the swing (exactly how you drive your arms to accelerate a tap swing in a giant or a swinging bubka on the high bar, only it should it be from the top arm only rowing with the bottom arm results in blocking the inversion), causes the hips to rise, and results in a bend that rises instead of sinks. Even with my tuck this is the only way for me to get inverted fast enough. To me when thinking about in in gymnastics terms it is a tap swing to a free hip circle with a half turn. Luckily if you break the elbow in and pull all the way through, the turn happens naturally. I hope I am making since I am not very good at explaining without demonstrations.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”