New practice video with my new camera

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: New practice video with my new camera

Unread postby dj » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:15 pm

decided to move this to an advanced technical thread..

dj
Last edited by dj on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice work yesterday Scott! That funky old pole worked well for you

Alan, sent PM

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:58 pm

superpipe wrote:Wow! I just realized how amazing your new camera is for the price. It's about time someone came out with a high speed camera that wasn't a million dollar movie one. Now, do I get what you have now or wait until March to get the latest model, the EX-ZR100? The ZR100 is only $300.00 and these camera's are rated well for low light. Ridiculous! I think I'm gonna wait until March. Thanks for posting this since I was trying to wait until I could afford a nice $1,000+ full HD camcorder. Forget that now.

This Casio high speed camera is an absolute MUST in my book for every vaulter. I still can't believe how cheap it is. I've done lots of research over the years on the best cameras for $1,300 and less trying to get the best high speed for what I could afford. I've never given Casio the time of day so this is why I probably missed even seeing this. So excited about this.

Chris,
Just make sure you are okay with the video image shrinking with higher speed taping. Otherwise, the new model seems like a real badass.
Wilson

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Polevaulter2012 wrote:
vaultmd wrote:I recently bought the EX-FC100

Do you like it?? I love my camera. Its a really good tool.

I like it a lot; but I have a realistic view of what it will be used for. I was replacing my previous pocket-sized Exilim camera and consider the ability to do the high-speed taping in the field a plus. The image shrinks with higher speeds; but given that I'm only going to use that capability in the field (i.e.: not for research projects or production), using the camera's small lcd, it's a great camera. For full-size high-speed, one needs the really expensive Casio that they don't make any more (EX-FH1?). Good thing pvphd stockpiled a few for his work.

I also like it a lot because I got a deal on it. It was replaced by the EX-FC150 and is considered an older model now.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:14 pm

vaultmd wrote:make sure you are okay with the video image shrinking with higher speed taping

you can go from 30-120 fps or 30-240fps then you have 480 and 1000 fps. I use 30-120fps and the image size is perfect.

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah, I realize the resolution shrinkage with the high speed settings. I'd expect that for such an affordable price. To get full HD at high speed has to be thousands of dollars for a commercial camera that has a ridiculous amount of crazy fast memory to store the data. Aside from this Casio, I don't even know of any "consumer" camera made that gives you high speed video settings like this.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey here is the new video, Didnt get to jump that much today 1 because I couldnt find one of my poles, and 2 because we ended early for the duck game! Go Ducks! But overall it went well for being an off day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9p86O3XdOE

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Your vault isn't quite as smooth as it could be, and the root cause of this is that you are not behind the pole as much as you could be, before you begin to swing. Your hips are moving in front of your shoulders on the impact of the box, and that is because you are under. Any drop/plant work you do is geared towards this problem, and will help your swing.

Once airborne, though, you salvage pretty decent jumps by pressing with your hands hard to keep your hips back at least a split second longer before you swing. From there you start covering the pole nicely, but by the time your legs are around parallel with the ground, you begin a rowing action much more than you should have to, in order to invert. There are two ways to get to inversion on the pole; bring your hands to your hips, or bring your hips to your hands. you need to concentration on the latter of the two, by swinging your hips AROUND your hands, and essentially keeping your hands where they are when you swing. They should only maintain enough pressure to stay where they are in relation to the rest of your body. Now, the easiest way to keep this swing fluid and around your top hand is by having a free takeoff that sets up your hips directly over or even slightly behind your shoulders.

Another way, however, when you hit under and want to save a jump anyway, is to quickly force your bottom hand upward to PUNCH your hips behind your shoulders. This requires a very elastic position after take off, and a strong bottom arm. After you set this position up, swing long and avoid rowing by removing the pressure with your bottom hand. The key is getting into a complete take off position (big inverted C with hips over shoulders) as quickly as possible after take off, and to keep your top hand pressed up the entire time you swing. You could cover the pole more than you are right now, by doing just that. It's clear that you are simply strong enough to get away with it the way that you are, but by moving your hips around the pole instead of just up the pole, and by folding back just a little more before you pull, there's no doubt you would see improvements.

Now you should not PRACTICE taking off under. But if you happen to hit under on a couple of jumps, there are still ways to get yourself into a finished take-off position and to cover the pole completely like i described above. It's just less than ideal. Keep up the good work!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 pm

I have been trying to have quicker steps so I have moved my step up to try and force myself to get quicker but yesterday was an off day because i had taken a week off from doing my weight lifting and sprint workouts. I think tomorrow will go better. I agree that I should be taking off more outside. At least around 12'3". I usually do take off outside though. I have been working on figuring out how to swing on the rings. This is the first year I have had anything close to a swing so I am stoked! I still have a lot of things to work on and improve. I agree my vault can be more smooth and a lot of it was because i was under yesterday. I will post video tomorrow and hopefully it will look a little better. I have my pole vault circuit today so I will focus on my swing. Thanks for the advice.

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Good First meet of the year. Went from a 5 step holding down on the 15' poles. I jumped 15'6" and almost 16'. I was a little under and blocking. Just somethings to improve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtGu7Y_wUwE

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 pm

very, VERY good jumping!

Some things to think about-

You looking like you are in a hurry to swing before you fully finish your take off. Being slightly under doesn't help, but you are near 13' on your take off If i see correctly on your 16' attempts, and that is not going to suck your hips under a whole lot. Make sure you press your hands up toward the bar and stay behind the pole as you leave the ground. You could give yourself more angle to swing on if your hips are just slightly behind your shoulders on the vertical plane. This is difficult because as a petrov-style jumper, we have a lot of focus on jumping UP and not trying to "drive" into the vault, which is what jumping with a slight forward angle can seem like. You truth is you want to stretch as tall as you can on take off, but also stay behind the pole by letting your trail leg end up naturally behind you and allowing more elasticity in your arms before you swing. This will open up your chest and make it appear like you are "driving the chest". You can only stay behind the pole if you are at a slight negative angle with the pole when you leave the ground, or at the very worst, exactly vertical. I hope that makes sense.

Also, as you cover the pole, you are flagging out at the bar just a little bit on some of your jumps. This gives you more room in front of, and behind the bar which is very good and useful. But in doing so, you have to sacrifice some of the energy in the pole. Instead, you should try covering the pole a little further and staying connected with the pole, pulling the entire time, until you fly away from the pole. The idea is to let your pole speed give you room in front of, and behind the bar. Look at how long bubka stay's connect with the pole, yet still have plenty of room in front of and behind the bar. This is because as you continue to pull after you have inverted, you continue to add energy into the pole, which continues to move the pole toward the bar and even PAST the bar. It'll also add a good 4-6" to your vault IMO. But to do this correctly, you need to pike back a little further and then waste NO time in this position, by continuing to drive your legs and hips up the pole like a straight legged power clean or a kip action. I hope this makes sense, as well lol. GREAT jumping though, you have some HUGE bars ahead of you this year!! Also, don't actually try a straight-legged power clean, I am just giving you an example of the body movement lol.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Today I was working on taking off outside and having my left arm come back to my ear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYAHLtIBlcQ

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”