Major areas for summer improvement?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Major areas for summer improvement?

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Here is a video from my first vault session in two months. It was a pretty good session as far as a short run technical session goes. Its pretty much consistent with my form throughout the year even though i havent jumped in two months.

Give me Three Things to work on that you think will make the BIGGEST change in my vault (as far as height goes) that i can work on in the next couple summer months before college season starts again.

examples.
Dropping my right hand during my plant motion which is killing my pole speed.

Running low with backside mechanics which is making me shorter and slower.

The pause between my drive and swing or the pause between my rockback and shoot.

My widegrip and small amount of blocking.

things like that that i can work on and make a big difference in what i can do in the vault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-jq2m3C78
loving life, making progress, exceeding expectations

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Re: Major areas for summer improvement?

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 pm

it seems there was an error with the link. here is the correct one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-jq2m3C78

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I think you can benefit from a more aggressive, bounding first step of your run. This will set up your run to be taller, as you can get your hips/posture in the right position from the first stride. When you do this right it will likely make your run slightly longer.

As you mentioned, both your hands drop too low as you plant the pole, causing you to have longer strides during your last three steps. This is probably the main reason why you are under. Make sure you aren't under from your 5-step...it is directly related to your planting motion. Fast hands=fast feet, and low hands=slow hands.

Again, as you mentioned, your grip seems a bit wide, which makes your bottom arm jam into the pole at takeoff instead of rising above your head. Experiment with a narrower grip, and see if you can try to bend the pole by driving your chest into a ripping swing, instead of your bottom arm into the pole.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck,
Tom

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks. I appreciate the input!

As far as my run goes, i know that bounding in the beginning will just stretch me out, lower my center of gravity and start me off with bad back mechanics for the rest of my run. I know im under but thats a result of leaning back at the takeoff and a bit of the dropped hands. If i can stay tall and keep my chest over my hips, and not drop my right hand at the initiation of my plant then the reaching problem will be fixed.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:58 am

1. Shorten your grip by 4 -6 ".
2.Learn how to plant the pole - GO RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING
3. Increase cadence over the last six steps. BEGIN BY USING 20/20S TO LEARN HOW TO TIGHTEN YOUR RUNNING.

4. If you want another one - learn to run with your hips UP AND FORWARD FROM THE VERY FIRST STEP.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks Altius I really do agree. I need work on the plant mechanics and running with my chest and hips over the balls of my feet from the very first step. which will also fix me striding out the last couple steps. However im already hesitating on swinging all the way back and the pole is unbending before i shoot my hips, i dont see how shortening my hand grip will do anything but exaggerate that and help me miss the bend even more. Can you please elaborate.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:17 am

Sorryo old son - I am not debating these issues -dont have time. You asked for advice -I gave some - you take it or you leave it.

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 am

Please don't misunderstand Altius. i wasn't trying to debate at all. I just wanted to know what the goal was from lowering the hand grip 4-6 inches, or what the benefits would be. Simply to expand my knowledge or focus on it while jumping. If you don't have time all is understood, thanks again for the advice.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Shorten - not lower - your grip. Tom pointed out the problems a wide grip will bring- I agree with him.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:44 pm

LHSVaulterJJR wrote:
As far as my run goes, i know that bounding in the beginning will just stretch me out, lower my center of gravity and start me off with bad back mechanics for the rest of my run. I know im under but thats a result of leaning back at the takeoff and a bit of the dropped hands. If i can stay tall and keep my chest over my hips, and not drop my right hand at the initiation of my plant then the reaching problem will be fixed.

OK, words are getting in the way of understanding here.
When I say bounding, I don't mean stretching out your step, but rather to get a high, driving first stride to get your hips up over your leg from the beginning. The lower center of gravity and low run comes from your first step being too low to set up the proper running technique and posture. Some vaulters can re-establish the right stride/posture later in the run, but it's a lot easier to get it up high from the beginning and then just accelerate. Your right knee/thigh should come up to horizontal on your first step, setting up the right stride pattern that will keep you running tall for the rest of your approach. Yours is close, but I just think you'll benefit from a little more "rise" in your first step, with the same aggressive drive you are already using.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like you are really reaching for the box on your last few strides. There is a strange shift forward in posture each time your right foot strikes the ground. This may be related to your plant mechanics, or the weight of the pole affecting you (let it drop freely by raising the top hand 3 strides out, instead of controlling it with the bottom hand) Just get your feet down quicker, and hands up quicker (and don't let them drop), and your step will hopefully come out. Maybe you are hitting out at your MID and trying to stretch for the box, making it hard to plant fast and jump up. If this is the case, then you should move your step in until you can quicken your last strides instead of stretching.

A short approach during the summer is a great time to make changes in technique, but be prepared for it to feel "wrong" for a while.

Good luck!
Tom

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm

thanks tom it seems all three of us are very much on the same page :yes:

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:37 am

The leaning back is a result of the pole drop and timing of the takeoff. It's not where you takeoff from it's what you are doing on takeoff... Jump up from the American concept of where to takeoff. Check out youtube one my description of the takeoff.

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”