Major areas for summer improvement?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz
Expertise: current college vaulter, former USATF and high school coach
Favorite Vaulter: David spivey, scott roth

Re: Major areas for summer improvement?

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 am

OK SO here's the latest practice from last evening. I was trying to work on what you 3 had given me,

1) Hips up and forwards during the run to run taller, fix my striding, and increase speed and hip position at the takeoff.

2) right hand carrying the pole higher about at my hip.

3) Fixing my plant mechanics, not leaning back, bringing my right hand directly upwards instead of down and then up.

For some reason I don't know weather it was that i was a bit flat speed wise today or not but i didn't quite feel like i had enough pole speed last night, So as youll see my drive is held to long the swing is weak and most of all i don't get inverted very well, all out of a little fear of not getting enough penetration. But again I feel like i made some good progress towards what we were trying to fix. it looks visibly better to me :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECaWsn8h3Y
loving life, making progress, exceeding expectations

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:44 am

Great job! It's not very often that a vaulter can change so many things so quickly. You deserve a lot of credit for being able to do that.
1. Much better stride (less stretchy and taller = higher COM)
2. Much better plant (no dropping of the hands and in time with the feet = step was closer to "on")
3. Great pole drop (one of the hardest things to master, helps accelerate the feet)

Now you just need to get lots of reps with this new approach/plant, and develop more confidence to swing as fast as possible, cover the pole, and pop your hips up. Taking off from the right spot feels a lot different than taking off under, your swing doesn't start as soon because you don't get ripped into it right off the ground. After having made this transition myself I can say that it takes a little time to get used to it, and it gets harder to do it right as you move your step back. Just try to find the confidence to swing fast and hard, instead of bailing, when you find yourself taking off without the support of the pole. Usually it works out surprisingly well (but don't take off at 15 feet yet, OK?). Also, you may want to move down to a slightly softer pole...then you won't feel like you need to try to bend it with the bottom arm, but can drive the chest instead. Eventually you'll get back up to stiffer poles once you get your step out consistently, but the vault will feel a lot different.

Nice work,
Tom

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 am

This was posted on the beginners board -it is appropriate for you because your hands are still much too low.

"So as i take it the the left hand/ bottom arm is centered at the chest, and to lower the pole you move the arm away from your chest = THAT SHOULD BEGIN SIX STEPS FROM TO - and as the arm is moving away from your chest the pole tip should come down until it is at head level - THEN OVER THE NEXT THREE STEPS the right arm is supposeD to move up the right side of your body to a position above your head before it -THE POLE TIP - hits the back of the box, IDEALLY LEAVING THE LEFT HAND HIGH WITH THE LEFT ELBOW BELOW AND OUTSIDE THE HAND THROUGHOUT THAT MOVEMENT- AND ideally leaving the ground the instant before it hits. YES INDEED.

I suspect that you will find the BTB dvd of more value than the other suggestions if you are relatively new to this. But whatever you learn you will need to do a few thousand repetitions - walking/jogging/trotting/running/sprinting/ sprinting and jumping to touch a bungy with your top hand - before you have it under control - and like IZZY on the DVD you will still continue practising the planting action even after you have set several world records.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks tom the changes have been happening rather easily as of late, not sure what the change in mindset is but its working.

Altius So to sum up the information you just gave me you believe that

im still lowering the pole to late during the run

my bottom arm isnt high enough during the pole drop

and that my hands arent moving fast enough so its hurting my final pole speed

and that my hands are to low at takeoff.

Is that correct?
again just a clarification to really know what to work on next time out. I agree with both of you this will take a LOT of repetition, Im very conscious of it right now and soon itll be built in to muscle memory, And i may need to hold lower as tom suggested until my body gets used to this affect.

Its a step in the right direction, i did see a higher run with better hips and an improved plant motion. Altius let me know what you think. ill put the next practice session up soon.

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:14 am

just took another look at the video. I see what your saying altius, im initiating the plant to late. The pole should be parallel with the ground on my fourth left, and my right hand should be moving directly upwards on my fifth left stride. My right hand is moving up a bit late because the pole tip is being dropped to late. Well if i get anything out of this summer it will be a phenomenally tall, well timed and technically correct run and plant. Which may save me.

One other question, what are your opinions on my knees the last couple of steps into the takeoff, I feel as if they are dropping too low.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Your knees are where they have always been - below your hips and above your feet.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

LHSVaulterJJR
PV Whiz

Unread postby LHSVaulterJJR » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:34 am

haha thanks Alan Ill take that as a dont worry about them :P

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm

LHSVaulterJJR wrote:One other question, what are your opinions on my knees the last couple of steps into the takeoff, I feel as if they are dropping too low.

If you watch Bubka's knees on the last two steps of his run, they do not come as high, since he is quickening his strides in preparation to jump. I believe this to be desirable and helpful in driving the chest up and forward at takeoff.

Thanks to Chris Mitchell in Vermont for hosting this video on his website (quicktime is great for frame-by-frame...takes a minute or two to load this large file)
http://www.mansfieldathletics.com/pole_ ... Video1.mov

Not surprisingly, this particular vault is one of the ones analyzed in Alan's Beginner to Bubka DVD, which is an excellent resource and well worth the $. I have lots of PV movies, but this one is my favorite.

Even with your improvements, you still have a lot more to improve on...a good problem to have! Keep that upright posture and keep the hands high. Lots of plant drills...make sure it's a part of every vault practice and hopefully some extra work at home. I have a short piece of schedule 40 PVC (capped and filled with sand) at home that is helpful for working on plant mechanics. My coaching partner makes one of these for all of the kids we coach.

Good luck
Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”