Analysis/Critique of 5.30m vault

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
TheBestVaulterAlive
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.34m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Daniel Ryland

Analysis/Critique of 5.30m vault

Unread postby TheBestVaulterAlive » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi everyone,
This jumps comes from this past weekend. I am running from a total of 16 strides or 8 lefts depending on how you count. My approach starts at 109'6"- 109'8" and i had a consistent mid mark of about 51' - 51'4". I was gripping 15'2" and had a consistent takeoff for the day around 12'5" - 12'7". This is my second meet of the year running from 16 strides and my 4th session of running from 16 strides. I ended up finishing the meet with a grip of 15'3" and will post another video of an attempt at 5.40m. Some additional information... In my training I have been emphasizing the approach and takeoff to a high degree. But with this particular jump I was focused on swinging a fast straight trail leg to cover the pole. I have also now stopped counting whenever I am running with the pole, to free up my mind and let my body take over. Also, in the middle of December I took 4 weeks off of training completely to let a stress fracture in my lower vertebrae (L4) to heal up. I started back up full time training the second week of January.
Some positive things that I notice in my jump... a decent turnover or cadence at the end of my approach... both arms high at the plant... a natural, smooth looking fun.. okay chest/hip drive at the takeoff...okay position at the chord of the pole (I think my hips need to be forward a tad bit more with my posture re-aliened to the pole)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKqHEr0q1o
"You only fail if you want to." - Dr. Komarraju
Cody Doerflein

Taylortexas
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 15' 7

Re: Analysis/Critique of 5.30m vault

Unread postby Taylortexas » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Is there anyway you can post in slow motion?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 pm

"I have also now stopped counting whenever I am running with the pole, to free up my mind and let my body take over" First I must say that I cannot believe that anyone would count their steps beyond their first year of vaulting BUT by and large what you are doing looks pretty good. Slomo would help but there is an obvious problem with the left hand arm. Ideally the left hand should never go below the elbow at any point in the run or plant - or vice versa if you understand, This puts the hand on top of the pole so muscle power has to be used to control it at a critical point in the plant -instead of the left hand acting merely as a fulcrum around which the pole can rotate. Then do not let the left had drift back into the body. The key question is =where must the left hand be at the moment the pole tip touches the box - once that is understood it is easy to see how important it is that it is always positioned correctly throughout the run and especially during the plant. If it is allowed to drift back and down in the preceding stages it has further to move at a critical moment.

I understand this is 'black magic' coaching as it is in response to just one jump -albeit one of you best ever at least from a height point of view. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

TheBestVaulterAlive
PV Beginner

Unread postby TheBestVaulterAlive » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Here is the same jump at 5.30m from a different camera and angle. Sorry for the poor video quality but I think it is decent. The first two are in regular motion and the last two are in slow motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xid26U-V ... ck_vD1NHZX
Cody Doerflein

TheBestVaulterAlive
PV Beginner

Unread postby TheBestVaulterAlive » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Altius,
I knew someone would catch that. I think I was over compensating with my pole carry to make sure I would have the bend right at plant. Sometimes, because of a tight grip, the pole does not fully rotate in my left hand as it should. But I do understand what you are saying. I think more walking, jogging plants are a must!!! Question: Do you think the left arm is too straight about one step out from takeoff? Going off of what Petrov stated in 07 at the Reno Summit about it needing to be 90 degrees at takeoff... I also think the left hand drifts back because of a early pole drop where the pole "almost" gets fixated in a position. I say almost only because the pole tip slowly keeps moving towards the box. In slomo, you'll be able to see it.
Nothing a hundred or so of repetitions won't take care of as you say... As an aspiring young athlete in America, growing up with demonstration videos and such being easier to attain than anything else, counting my steps has been ingrained in my head for quite some time... Over 7 years!! Although I did switch my counting methods to the one you described in your book two years ago.

Here are my next three attempts at 5.40m... The height indicator says 17'10", then 17'6", but it's really 17'8.5"... My third jump is something that I am most proud of. On that particular jump my focus was to hit the pole solid and swing my hips up as fast possible. As a result, my hips come up real nice but I think my turn is actually late on the pole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbPa18UBM-s
Cody Doerflein

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 am

The dilemma is that every vaulter is a work in progress - and especially during competition periods you have to be very careful about changing anything. On the other hand 'perfection does not come from doing extraordinary things - but by doing simple things extraordinarily well" -so you are always juggling things. However you seem particularly ambitious so lets look at some of the simple things you might take a look at - whenever you have time to make changes - and that may not be until the end of this season.

1, Go back to BTB and take a look at figure 26.8. That shows how you should begin by carrying the pole - and you must maintain that relationship of the wrist above the elbow throughout the run. You allow the hand to get on top of the pole from the beginning and then you have to use muscle power instead of the skeletal system to keep the pole in place.
2. The beginning of your run -and you cant change that in a week. You tend to start with a pronounced forward lean - check Bubbys beginning in the BTB dvd. Upright running with hips up and forward - not the shoulders down and forward. You might consider adding two steps immediately and trying to get a bit taller at the start,
3. Perhaps related to 1 and 2 above the pole drop is early and again you are having to use muscle power to control it - you look a strong guy but you are working against yourself.
4. The plant is late - the right hand should be above the head with the right knuckle touching just above the forehead when the right foot - penultimate step - is flat on the ground - check where yours is. From there both hands must be moved up into the plant position so that you are into position for take off before the left foot grounds. The left arm is extended too far at this point - is that a product of grip width? Glad you took on board Petrovs comment - many appear to have missed it -so check where your left arm is when pole tip touches.
5. You have a tendency to take off fractionally flat - even tho I am sure that is not what you want to do. It is because the focus of your eyes is forward - not up and through the pole.
6. You seem to lose contact with the pole early in inversion - but that may just those jumps. You might try - in your last full vault session of the week - training with a bungy at 5.45/5.50/5.60. This may help you stay on the pole longer and sort out the timing of the spiral on the pole. Difficult to do that simply by thinking about it.

Hope this helps -had the time for this because am waiting for edits of my games book to be done -once they come back I will not be available so get in quick with any questions. ;)

TheBestVaulterAlive
PV Beginner

Unread postby TheBestVaulterAlive » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Okay I have couple of questions then.
1) In the approach, should the left hand always be positioned in the center of the chest line? Or in other words will the pole tip remain to the left of the vaulter throughout the whole run going into the plant? Does the left hand remain at the same height or level of the chest line and then moves slightly to the right in preparation for the plant?
2) What is your thought on tape for the bottom hand? I find it that in my case, tape does not the vaulter use the left hand as a fulcrum for the pole to rotate in. Hence, what you saw in my pole carry.
3) 18 strides will be my full approach but as a progression I will vault from 16 strides for about 1 more week. Considering the posture of a sprinter when he/she drives out of the blocks, then proceeds on to different phases of the acceleration pattern, the posture becomes more erect. Is that not the case with the vault? Rick Attig (coached at Nebraska, coached Huffman) suggested in a video and paper I do believe of the vaulter having a power start and the posture of the vaulter should gradually rise. I would interpret the power start as 6 strides where the athlete focuses on pushing behind himself while staying relaxed.
4) Could you elaborate a bit more on my takeoff being fractionally flat? What should or how should I approach fixing this? Should I focus on jumping up more or rolling off the ball of the foot more aggressively? If you could pinpoint the correct angle to jump with a pole, what would it be? Also, I posted a question of where an athlete should focus their attention when running with a pole and then after the takeoff. Bubka stated that many athletes look at the box in a presentation but what aspect of the vault was he relating this to? As for me, I do indeed look at the back of the box while I am running with the pole. During the takeoff however, my eyes are shifted forward so, should they always be focused ahead?
Cody Doerflein

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:20 pm

TheBestVaulterAlive wrote:Okay I have couple of questions then.REMEMBER I AM ONLY SPEAKING FOR MY INTERPRETATION OF THE PETROV BUBKA MODEL
1) In the approach, should the left hand always be positioned in the center of the chest line? YES - INITIALLY ABOUT 20 CMS FROM THE CHEST Or in other words will the pole tip remain to the left of the vaulter throughout the whole run going into the plant? Does the left hand remain at the same height or level of the chest line and then moves slightly to the right in preparation for the plant?NO. IT SIMPLY MOVES FORWARD - IDEALLY STAYING AT THE SAME HEIGHT, AS IT MOVES FORWARD FROM THE 6 STEP MARK THE POLE TIP LOWERS UNTIL IT IS APPROXIMATELY HEAD HEIGHT THREE STEPS FROM TAKE OFF
2) What is your thought on tape for the bottom hand? I find it that in my case, tape does not the vaulter use the left hand as a fulcrum for the pole to rotate in. Hence, what you saw in my pole carry. NO TAPE ON THE BOTTOM HAND -WHY WOULD YOU??
3) 18 strides will be my full approach but as a progression I will vault from 16 strides for about 1 more week. SUGGEST YOU CONSIDER STAYING WITH 18 STRIDES (20 NEXT YEAR) THROUGHOUT PREPARATION AND COMPETITION PERIOD Considering the posture of a sprinter when he/she drives out of the blocks, YOU RE NOT A SPRINTER -YOU ARE A POLE VAULTER! SPRINTERS DO NOT HAVE TO BALANCE THE WEIGHT OF A POLE IN FRONT OF THE COG OF THE BODY. then proceeds on to different phases of the acceleration pattern, the posture becomes more erect. Is that not the case with the vault? Rick Attig (coached at Nebraska, coached Huffman) suggested in a video and paper I do believe of the vaulter having a power start and the posture of the vaulter should gradually rise. I would interpret the power start as 6 strides where the athlete focuses on pushing behind himself while staying relaxed. IF YOU WANT TO JUMP LIKE SCOTT HUFFMAN GO THIS ROUTE. IF YOU WANT TO JUMP LIKE BUBKA DO WHAT I AM SUGGESTING.
4) Could you elaborate a bit more on my takeoff being fractionally flat? What should or how should I approach fixing this? Should I focus on jumping up more or rolling off the ball of the foot more aggressively? If you could pinpoint the correct angle to jump with a pole, what would it be? Also, I posted a question of where an athlete should focus their attention when running with a pole and then after the takeoff. Bubka stated that many athletes look at the box in a presentation but what aspect of the vault was he relating this to? As for me, I do indeed look at the back of the box while I am running with the pole. During the takeoff however, my eyes are shifted forward so, should they always be focused ahead?NO - IF YOU WANT A SIMPLE CUE - look JUST ABOVE THE BOTTOM HAND.

THE SIMPLE FACT IS THAT - EXCEPT IN A BASKETBALL FAKE -WE GO WHERE THE EYES ARE LOOKING. IF YOU FOCUS FLAT THEN YOU WILL GO FLAT - THAT CAN HAPPEN FRACTIONALLY EVEN IF YOUR WHOLE TAKE OFF IMPETUS FROM THE GROUND IS FORWARD AND UP - AS YOURS IS. THAT IS PRECISELY THE POINT THAT BUBKA WAS MAKING - WHY LOOK AT THE BOX - IT IS NEVER GOING TO MOVE SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE IT WILL BE THROUGHOUT THE RUN AND THE TAKE OFF. THAT IS WHY YOU MUST!MUST! DEVELOP A VERY CONSISTENT APPROACH RUN - AND THIS IS BEST DONE (IMHO) BY ALWAYS USING THE SAME STRIDE PATTERN THROUGHOUT TRAINING AND COMPETITION. IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE, DO IT IMMEDIATELY AFTER A COMPETITION SEASON ENDS TO PREPARE FOR THE NEXT -ALTHOUGH IN YOUR CASE YOU COULD BEGIN BY RUNNING TALLER -A LA BUBKA - ON THE FIRST TWO STRIDES WHEN YOU ADD THEM.

You asked for comments - I have provided mine. You do whatever you wish to do -its your life!

PVstorm84
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.83m
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Unread postby PVstorm84 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Oh now you've done it... he's yelling...
In LZB We Trust.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Anyone but a REAL dumb bunny would understand why caps were used in this situation - but with a tag like that I suppose one has to make allowances.

TheBestVaulterAlive
PV Beginner

Unread postby TheBestVaulterAlive » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 am

Never knew if bunnies could be classified as intelligent or remedial. I wonder if this relates to the size of their cerebellum or not ;)

Anyways, the changes that I think I can start immediately working on is the early pole drop and late plant with the correction to the left hand/wrist. I remember reading something Petrov stated about the right hand needing to be higher than the head on the second to last step. If the hand is not past the head, it causes the athlete to drop his hips and "sink" in relation to being on their heels. If the hand is high, gravity takes the pole and the vaulter in almost a pulling action forward and up.

As far as not looking at the box while I run, I feel like that should be rehearsed after this competition period. I did do some dabbling with it a few weeks in the sandpit, but found it to be very difficult or scary I should say when I was on the actual runway from 12 strides!!

As you have advocated I have spent at least 1 training session this whole year completing pole runs from full approach (18 strides) so I think the additional two steps will help. I just have to remember to start out being tall and such.

Let me also address my thoughts on having tape for the bottom hand. As with film of Bubka, there is no tape for his bottom hand. I feel like when there is tape on my bottom hand, I cannot fully let the pole rotate in my hand because of the tapes friction. Hence my pole carry in the video. Should the left hand be closed with the weight being on the web of the hand. Or should it be semi-open?

Tomorrow I will post some video of my last training session. It was from 12 strides with bungee at 5.50m with myself working on staying close to the pole.

By the way, it is always implied but has not been said yet... Thank you!
Cody Doerflein

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”