Need help jumping over handgrip

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

Need help jumping over handgrip

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

ESSX wrote:I am not sure what America has to offer in the top three for the men's pole vault!
I look at the NCAA video and see so many poor runs and everyone taking off under!
It seems the USA has not learned its lessons yet. We have coaches still teaching pressing with the bottom arm and many trying to get to their backs to quick!
Far too many believe the vault is two stages and not two pendulums!!

Many athletes are over-gripping their abilities rather than learning how to jump over their hand-grips!
Many vaulter boast about pr's with short runs gee what would happen if it was 20 strides guys and 18 girls!!!
France Cuba, Poland, and Russia are leading the event with much better technique and heights cleared!
USA programs are not supporting athletes and organizing groups are holding athletes back from getting the funds and sponsorships they need to train!
Far too many politics! far too much Greed! far too many rules claiming to protect the athlete!
Dj you are correct we need to make changes and it has to start right now!
Just my thoughts it is just not fun anymore!
Bruce Caldwell

you say we americans need to learn to vault over our hand grip and that is something iv been trying to do this past few years. every thing i have read about that says if you get vertical and have a stiff enough pole it will send you over your hand grip but im having trouble doing it. i do get vertical but i still am stuck about 6 inches under my handgrip....how can i fix that?

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Has pole vaulting hit the bottom?

Unread postby altius » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm

"you say we americans need to learn to vault over our hand grip and that is something iv been trying to do this past few years. every thing i have read about that says if you get vertical and have a stiff enough pole it will send you over your hand grip but im having trouble doing it. i do get vertical but i still am stuck about 6 inches under my handgrip....how can i fix that?[/quote]"

Send us some film -perhaps we can help! :D
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Re: Has pole vaulting hit the bottom?

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:01 pm

altius wrote:"you say we americans need to learn to vault over our hand grip and that is something iv been trying to do this past few years. every thing i have read about that says if you get vertical and have a stiff enough pole it will send you over your hand grip but im having trouble doing it. i do get vertical but i still am stuck about 6 inches under my handgrip....how can i fix that?
"

Send us some film -perhaps we can help! :D[/quote]

sorry for the miss lmao but heres one....this was one ugly vault by me...unfortuanatly i dont have a wide selection of videos to choose from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8G-YUT5Esk

rossi
PV Beginner
Expertise: Parent, coach, enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 4.40
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Re: Need help jumping over handgrip

Unread postby rossi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 am

Hi!

Hard to see anything from that angle. Ask a friend of yours, or your coach to film a couple of jumps with a standard camera. If you want to improve faster, you should use video-analysis in your weekly training.

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 am

rossi wrote:Hi!

Hard to see anything from that angle. Ask a friend of yours, or your coach to film a couple of jumps with a standard camera. If you want to improve faster, you should use video-analysis in your weekly training.

alright so since we dont have video to look at, can you tell me some general tips on how to jump over your handgrip? besides getting vertical, seeing as how i am already able to get vertical? also what drills are good for practicing it? getting a small pole and just do 4 step runs with a bungee at your hand grip? would that be beneficial?

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 am

I have a similar problem like this but i do not get inverted that well. I wish i did. I can invert all the way i just see the bar and think i am over so i turn and finish off my jump instead of keep on going up. But something i am doing to help this is put a bungee up either 1 or 2ft above your grip and when u come off the top of the pole try to get your feet above it and wrap it. This will help on extending up as much as u can.

kevinw
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10-6
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby kevinw » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I just came across this thread, I was hoping somebody could give me some tips on my jump and getting above my hand grip?

http://youtu.be/oUm53MJyAOY

This was taken about a month ago.
Thanks!

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Kevin,

1. Carry the pole with your left wrist cocked up, supporting the pole in your palm. You're using a "monky" grip with your wrist turned over the pole, which is creating problems in your run and plant.
2. Your plant is late. Do lots of plant drills to practice proper plant timing. Be brutally meticulous in practicing your plant positions.
3. Get faster. You need to do lot's of short sprinting and plyometrics.

I hope that helps.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”