practice 2/28/1012

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Taylortexas
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 15' 7
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

practice 2/28/1012

Unread postby Taylortexas » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:12 am

Heres a video of today's workout:
http://youtu.be/e8d1ySrvPIY

I'm thinking of buying a 15'9'' 180 and 185? Any thoughts or suggestions?

First jump Altius 15'3" -185....3 inches under
Second jump Altius 15'3" -190.... can't tell

Thanks and have a great day!

-Taylor

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: practice 2/28/1012

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 am

Looking better on that 190, nice job! Where are your standards? Hopefully all the way back when you are practicing at a bungee!! It will encourage you to finish your takeoff better (more pole speed=deeper parabola)

I would say that you will want bigger poles eventually, but you are still leaving a lot of height on the table at the top of your jump, and you aren't exactly blowing through. It isn't going to get any easier to line up with the pole at the top end by going to bigger sticks. Keep the grip where it is until you can achieve more penetration and better form on top...don't be one of those vaulters who never learns to jump right because they are perpetually overgripped!

If you have the resources available, I'd say that the two poles you suggested would be a nice new series for a little later down the road, so it would be great to get them.

You need to keep your right hand from going back behind your hip at the plant. It is turning your shoulders out of square and losing you a lot of time and energy at the plant. Fixing this may help address some of your problems on the top end, and help you get on bigger poles as well. Let your elbow bend back behind you but keep the hand at the hip!

Just speaking of the top end alone, you need to drop your shoulders much more vigorously at the top of your swing. Done correctly this will keep the pole bent longer and get you more penetration.

Good luck,
Tom

Taylortexas
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 15' 7
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: practice 2/28/1012

Unread postby Taylortexas » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks Tom!

Yes, the bungee is all the way back.

Thanks for the input. This was actually my first day to practice in 6 weeks.(Injured) Blew through 3 poles. :D Im usually not, what I was focusing on yesterday was my plant and drive. It really just felt good to be on the runway again.

Thanks again,
Taylor

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”