Not the best day at the office.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Taylortexas
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 15' 7
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Not the best day at the office.

Unread postby Taylortexas » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 am

Took a bunch of short runs and was vaulting really well. Then decided to take a couple long ones. Should have stopped when I was ahead.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2JI_xKH17A

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: Not the best day at the office.

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Ouch! I hope you are Ok. Wish I could say that's never happened to me...falling back on a raised runway is especially nasty. It's hard to believe how much more downward acceleration you get with that extra foot to the ground. My fellow coach/vaulting buddy did that earlier this winter and badly bruised both feet. One time in HS that happened to me and I broke my arm because my feet got tangled up in the pole as I was dropping back toward the runway, the only serious injury I've ever had vaulting.

Lesson to learn is that not every day is going to be good, listen to your body and heed the signs, or pay the consequences. I realize that this was a bad jump and you were putting on the brakes, but it's possible that you are overgripped. Maybe take your first few long runs on a pole/grip that are super easy to roll over, just to get a feel for things before capping the big dogs.

If you've just got some minor bruises, consider yourself lucky!

Tom

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Black magic coaching -because I have no idea what you like like on your good jumps. However on that one - where we cannot see the full run by the way - which does not help!! you are wya under - not sure how far but too far to jump effectively. You have a LATE plant - which is probably an ongoing fault. When your right foot is flat on the floor your right hand should be just above the head - knuckle of right hand touching is not a bad cue. You do not completely finish the TO - perhaps because your mind had already decided not to go for it - need to see some successful jumps to tell if that is an ongoing problem. The right knee does no continue its drive -again just that jump or normal? Whole thing 'looks like' a flat TO. Finally it looks as though IMHO - your grip is a smidgeon too narrow. But I dont know how tall you are or how high you have jumped -what pole you are on etc etc.

Put up some film of some good jumps -from the first step - and then it might be possible to provide more accurate feedback. :)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:19 am

Sorry - i misunderstood. Thought you were looking for feedback not commiserations. :(

Taylortexas
PV Beginner

Unread postby Taylortexas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:12 am

By no means was I look for commiserations.

I am looking for all the feed back I can get.

You can find me at taylorreyes82 or thetaylorreyes- my account from last year that I forgot the password to.

I was 2 foot under which totally sucked my hips under and ruined my whole jump.

Thanks for the advise.

-taylor

Taylortexas
PV Beginner

Unread postby Taylortexas » Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 am

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Overall pretty good - but slightly late plant - right hand should be just above the head when you are flat on the right foot - over striding through last six and especially into take off - take off not explosive enough (as judged by relatively passive right knee drive and lack of separation between right calf and left thigh in the period immediately after take off).

Taylortexas
PV Beginner

Unread postby Taylortexas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Altius, thanks for the comment. Sorry I missed it.

I have started to notice the over-striding.

Looks like lots of pole runs for me this fall.

Thanks again.

-T

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”