video comparison. why is this happening?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

video comparison. why is this happening?

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 pm

ok. so here is a video of my meet from thursday. which i PRd at with 11'6. i started using this 13'150lb pole. was using a 13'140 and i was blowing through so i went up to a stiffer pole. which worked out pretty good. but i watched two of my jumps. my clearing of 11'6 and my last attempt at 12'. now my take off i thought looked a lot better on my 12' attempt than the 11'6. but the jump at 11'6 i made and didnt even get swung up on my 12' attempt. here is the video i made. i cant tell what i am doing wrong. the only thing i could think of for this happening would be blocking out with my bottom arm. but it doesnt look like i am doing that. from my take off it looks like i have all the momentum and swing i will need to swing up and invert. but that doesnt happen. i dont know what is going wrong. maybe someone else can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v4JBpHYF_w

dlevear
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.30m
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Re: video comparison. why is this happening?

Unread postby dlevear » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:47 am

You need to jump up more at takeoff. The inside step might be getting you better heights because you're getting sucked into the jump, while if you're outside you actually have to jump up which puts more energy into the system to get on bigger poles and get higher heights. The second jump (at 12') looks like you didn't jump up with the last step, thus the bail out. Fixing this will help.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Yea. Thats what the coach at our meet yeaterday was saying. I am just running and letting the pole pick me up. I need to jump up. Which im not sure if i have always done this or what. But i am having a hard time jumping much because i might have tendonitis in my knees. I talked to the trainer and thats what he thought it might be. My knees hurt pretty bad some days and feel like they r just going to give out (mostly days after meets). So i am trying to tell my coach to let me take it easy on running and all that and pole vault and only jumP practice one day a week besides meets.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Ok. So i have fixed my take off to where it should be and everything is doing better. But i am still not where id like to be. I cleared 12' maybe just jumping over my handgrip. But i am not getting fully inverted. I dont know if its just bc my trail leg isnt swining through with enough power or if my swing is fine. I think that i just need to drop my shoulders once i get into that L position.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”