Need help with vault, pole selection

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Metallover
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Need help with vault, pole selection

Unread postby Metallover » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:05 pm

My name is Riley and I'm a senior in high school. I started vaulting last year and we got a pit this year. My PR is 11'1"

I threw that last 7-10 days of vaulting into one chronological video

I weigh 150 pounds and I'm 5'7". I think I'm blowing through my 14' 145, and probably my 13'6" 155 too. We are ordering a pole tomorrow, I'm not sure what we should get? We're thinking a 14' 160.

At the end of the video I'm trying a 14' 170 pole (our next biggest from the 155). I tried it 3 times, and on the last time I lost grip of the pole; my hands are pretty small haha

http://youtu.be/1pQu-XIvUnQ

Please let me know what you think, with pole selection and with my form :)

at track
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Lobinger

Re: Need help with vault, pole selection

Unread postby at track » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:57 am

Hmm this is an interesting one. Part of me wants to tell you that you really should probably get a 14' 150 or 155. The 14' 145 is way to small for you (and illegal), but a lot of your jumps on the 13'6" 155 looked ok depth wise (which is weird because they should offer similar resistance). You definitely could move up a pole from some of those jumps, but moving up 3 poles all at once is pushing it. Moving to a 14' 155 would be a solid adjustment and would probably be the right pole for you right now. That said, i wouldn't want to tell you to buy a pole you're only going to use for half a season. A 14' 160 is going to be a tough adjustment for you (i think), but it offers you a little more room for improvement, a little more range for weighing in and would be a better pole to eventually transition to that 14' 170 from. I'm gonna say go ahead and go for the 14' 160 but be aware that it might take you a week or 2 to consistently get up on it. Is there another school you could borrow a 14 150-55 from to use as a transition pole? If there is, find them, because a 13'6" 155 to a 14' 160 is a big change. Up to you, but just be ready for a few long practices if you go with the 14' 160.

Also, so far as technique goes, stop looking at the crossbar during your jumps. Every jump you can see your line of sight locked onto it, which causes you to curl your chest and keep your shoulders high and hips low. This is keeping you from finishing your swing and is keeping you in a low position. Drop your shoulders (which - it should be noted - is different from just throwing your head as far back as it can go) and let your hips rise with the rest of your swing. Right now, your feet swing up but you get stuck because your hips stay down and you have to kick off the pole. Swing those hips with your feet and you'll find you can get straighter on the pole and jump higher. Check out the image below, red is you now, yellow is where you should aim for, or maybe even more. The start of your swing is pretty good, you just have to keep going with it and not stop yourself.

Metallover
PV Newbie

Unread postby Metallover » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Thank you for the advice and analysis! :D

My coach ended up ordering a 14'6" 160 today,, I can try it, idk how it will go. Maybe by the end the season it will work out good. We have another vaulter that can use it now too.

Also today I got on a 13' 170 (our biggest poles are 14' 145, 13'6" 155, 13' 170, 14' 170). I didn't even mention we had it earlier- I thought it wouldn't help me. However, today, I tried it and was getting in great, swinging better, and getting over 12' no problem (PR is 11'1"). Didn't get any video.

A few schools we talked to have the poles we need but they're being used at the moment.

Thanks again, any further critique is very welcomed. :) I will post another video in the future, we have a meet on Thursday and Saturday

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Ok. So im not positive, but it looks to me also that you are sort of blocking out. Which immediately slows your swing and doesnt let your hips rise. One of these people on here might be able to look and say if im correct. I am just another HS vaulter. But at take off your left arm should extend like you are, just up and not out in front. It should press up towards the crossbar and stretch back to where it is even with your head almost right before you start to swing. Focus on pressuring up with both hands at take off.

Metallover
PV Newbie

Unread postby Metallover » Mon May 07, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks for the wisdom guys :)

Thursday's meet I was on our 13' 170. I PR'd at 11'3".. Really wanted 11'9"+..

At practice my major focus was getting the head back, we did a bunch of easy pole-ing on a 3-4 step

Saturday was a big meet with most of the state's best vaulters. I tried out another school's 13'7" 165lb pole and it was money!

I got 5th! I improved my PR from 11"3" to 13'! I qualified preliminarily (12'3") and automatically (13') as well as breaking the (22 year old) school record (12'6"). Tipping the head back and getting on a good pole was the just what the doctor ordered.

This week I have to work on turning at the top, as well as my non-existent drive knee and trail leg (where did they go? lol). Finding a pole will hopefully be fine, at least at meets.

http://youtu.be/DVbkBMKb3L8

If anything stands out feel free to comment

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 07, 2012 2:55 am

Surprised no one has commented on the attempts by the coach to use the 'tap'. Clearly demonstrates how dangerous it can be - in this car it could have resulted in a broken neck! :mad:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

at track
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Lobinger

Unread postby at track » Mon May 07, 2012 2:11 pm

altius wrote:Surprised no one has commented on the attempts by the coach to use the 'tap'. Clearly demonstrates how dangerous it can be - in this car it could have resulted in a broken neck! :mad:

I agree that in this case the tap was dangerous. That pole was way too big of a jump and wouldn't have been safe no matter what. But I think the tap can be useful when transitioning to a new pole that the vaulter is capable of using. I think when used properly, the tap is less a method of helping the vaulter get penetration and more useful in helping them jump with confidence. If a jumper thinks he's getting a little extra boost he's more likely to jump aggressively and will likely have more success even if the tap doesn't do all that much. Do you think the tap is ok in this sense or are you against it no matter what?

Also, congrats on the new PR. You still seem to be giving up on that swing really early, keep that drive knee up and swing for the stars. You have a lot of potential to still improve on that pole you used in that last meet.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”