I need some input

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
LALVaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'7"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

I need some input

Unread postby LALVaulter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 am

My coach and i are at a loss for what to do. I have moved up to a 15' 150 pole from my 14' 150 pole. I have been chasing the bend on it well for the most part but my problem comes with my step and my transition to my swing. I have ran the steps back and they feel right when i vault, but whenever we check them i'm under by a foot or two but the vault and my chase look alright. I have moved my step back to correct this and then it is spot on, the only problem is it just doesn't feel right and i'm everywhere with the pole. I could really use some ideas as how to correct this. Attached are some links of me full vaulting. The vaults are described in the playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL03D4649B30C3EF0A&feature=mh_lolz

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: I need some input

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 am

Your run needs a lot of work. Most important step of your approach is the first step. You need to step back with your right and push off hard... keeping your chest and hips up during the run. You put yourself in a very awkward position with your first step. Look up some of Bubka's or Isibayeva's jumps on youtube and you'll see what I mean. They're tall, FAST, but very controlled down the runway. Coming into your takeoff you need to be fast, but under control to get your plant down to set yourself up for a big jump.

Another thing I notice is your pole carry... again, watch the videos of Bubka and Isinbayeva to get a good idea on your arm movement and carry. You swing your arms back and forth way too much. Keep the pole under control. Make sure your bottom hand (left) is in the middle of your chest rather than out in front of your right armpit. This will help your plant path from going outside and around your body.

dlevear
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.30m
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Unread postby dlevear » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:41 am

Adding on to that, keep your left elbow below your wrist as much as you can during the pole carry. You do not want it out as it is in those videos. Fixing this will help make the carry smooth and relaxed.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I have this exact same problem! I narrowed it down to why. When you run and especially at your plant make sure your foot is hitting under your body not out infront. Thats my problem. Most likely because i have oshcerslauders or however you spell it. So my run isnt the best its been. I dont know how to fix this. And no one has commented on my post about this. It could be your problem to. I feel like i am out to far when my step is actually on bc of this. And feel on when my step is way under.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”