Want to get onto bigger pole, Crushing pole in this video?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
davidjRudman
PV Newbie
Expertise: 4 years high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Want to get onto bigger pole, Crushing pole in this video?

Unread postby davidjRudman » Sun May 06, 2012 11:06 pm

I weigh 150, height 5'11". 11.3 second 100 meter time, not sure what else you need to know. I have videos if you want. Well, I have been on a 14'2" UCS 160lb pole, but i recently was told that i was crushing it and need to get onto a bigger pole by a really good vault coach that coaches a nearby school. I have jumped 14' on that pole twice, but both when my step was about a half a foot under at least. Yesterday, my step was on, and i either overbent it so that i didn't penetrate, or i blew through it. The coach said I was vaulting like an "elevator", meaning i'd go straight in, then shoot up once i got towards the mats and bent the pole a ton. He advised getting onto a bigger pole that could let me go up at a 60 degree angle. So, i have a 14'6" 155 and 160lb pole. I have tried a couple times in meets to get on the 155, but it rejected me partially because i was tired.

So my question is, since i don't have much time left, what's the quickest way to getting onto and getting comfortable with one of those poles? Do i do a full vault when i'm "testing" it out, or do i just try to get up (not invert) from a full step? Any tips to getting onto one of those (and advice which one) would be greatly appreciated! I have state in 3 weeks!

Here's one vid where i think i'm crushing it (it's bending a ton): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWw1hM3r ... re=mh_lolz

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Want to get onto bigger pole, Crushing pole in this video?

Unread postby altius » Mon May 07, 2012 12:39 am

If you are 5.11 and can run a legit 11.3 you should consider a CAREER as a pole vaulter.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

davidjRudman
PV Newbie

Unread postby davidjRudman » Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm

altius wrote:If you are 5.11 and can run a legit 11.3 you should consider a CAREER as a pole vaulter.

Lol there's like 6 kids on my team that run that time and are my height or taller

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Yes indeed - but are THEY prepared to do the hard yards needed to value add a superb technique to that basic athleticism??
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"

Unread postby Tory » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Video is not great, but I feel most certain that you are under. If you pause at the 1 second mark in your video and draw a straight line down from your top hand, your left foot is almost a foot in front. Try adjusting your steps to get yourself into prime take off position.

Since you are under, you can't jump as high. If you can get yourself jumping before the pole strikes the box, that would be ideal. In this video, the vaulter is using a metal pole. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhiEtyT-8II It is very difficult to do the drills in this video if you are under your top hand. A more proper take off will get you on bigger poles.

Last thing: At the 5 second mark in your video, you are pulling with your top arm (right). Pulling at this point prohibits you from continuing to drop back into the shoulders. If the goal of the pole vault is to simply move the pole to vertical, then pulling on the pole only adds resistance and slows the pole movement toward vertical. You must first cover the pole completely before your top arm bicep bends. Watch Bubka's top arm and notice at what point in the vault that his right bicep begins to flex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJIEyGHtBk

I know you're in a rush to get on a bigger pole, but don't move past your technique/skill level. It is your developed skills that will allow you to get on bigger poles. If there's a flaw in your technique, moving to a bigger pole will reveal that, which I think you mentioned, and it has the potential to be unsafe. Watch Bubka and notice how detailed his movements are. Every movement in the pole vault is on purpose. You can do it! Good luck at State!

davidjRudman
PV Newbie

Unread postby davidjRudman » Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks a lot! I recently had my step a lot better, yet i didn't penetrate as much? Does that mean i'm crushing it in the way that the pole bends into the pit and never lets me get through?

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"

Unread postby Tory » Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 am

I'm not sure I understand the question...... As always, video is more helpful.

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Most likely once you got your step out you still didnt jump. As well as getting your take off out jump and you will start to penetrate deeply again

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Also a good sign to watch for. The top of the pole should always comtinue in an upward motion. If it goes horizontal for a period of time then you are doing something wrong; under take off or not jumping at all most likely.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”