Some practice vaults

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.52
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Pawel Wojciechowski

Some practice vaults

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Thu May 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Here are some vaults i did in practice a few weeks ago. I'm a Junior in high school and i'm really trying to get 16 ft by the end of my senior year. The bungee is at 15ft and im going from a 7 step. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YG74ZvKa1c

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: Some practice vaults

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri May 18, 2012 3:48 pm

The comments I gave you in your other thread about piking at the top still hold true.

The first few jumps on this clip, you are on a pole that is too small. It makes it hard to finish strong when you are rolling the pole WAY past vertical. It seems that you move up a pole on the last few jumps...that is the pole you want to be jumping on.

During your approach, you drop your hands down and to the right side, allowing your right hand to pass well behind your hip. This means it will take you longer to get the hands back up at the plant, causing a slower plant, lower COM, and you to be a little under. Try keeping the right hand at the hip and the left hand right in front of your sternum. It will feel weird at first, but you will notice an ability to quicken your last few strides, keep your COM high through the plant, and get your step out further. Practice it in your pole runs and feel the rise you can gain at the takeoff when you keep your hands high and drop the pole freely. The levering action of the pole dropping through a high bottom hand will help stand up the pole at the takeoff.

Good luck, 16' is a very attainable goal for you if you can make a few small improvements in your carry/drop and top end! You will also want to start doing all your pole runs from 8 lefts so that you can get used to the timing.

Tom

Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.52
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Pawel Wojciechowski

Re: Some practice vaults

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks for the advice on both threads. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”