Critique my 2nd to last practice before states

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Critique my 2nd to last practice before states

Unread postby bb12334 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpm5adDIoJI
The videos are all in full speed and then half speed so they are all repeated.
So here are some basic stats
weight:138
Height:5'9
pole:13'7 140 UCS gripping at 13'(except for 2 warm up jumps at beginning and one jump on a 14 135)
Run from 5 lefts at 64'10
bungee at 14'6 for most jumps, at 12 for last one
I am a junior in high school and this is my third season vaulting

So my main focus recently has been working on my approach run and takeoff coupled with not dropping my legs at the top.I felt like this was a pretty good practice but it could have been better. There is one video where I try a 14 135 pole and complete the jump but it is not as pretty. My problems are that I am consistently under, do not press with my bottom arm, do not jumps up, and my hips get sucked under. I was hoping people could give me some things to focus on next practice which is 2 days before the state meet. I am looking to clear 13 which I would be extremely pleased with.

Thanks,
-Alex

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: Critique my 2nd to last practice before states

Unread postby Tory » Mon May 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Trying to cram in new information into your technique a few days before a major meet is probably not the right time to do so. That's what off-season is for. You are now at the culmination of your previous practices. At this point, just do what you know how and focus on what you are good at. Use the off-season to get better, use the State Meet to perform at your current best.

If I had to give you any advice at this point, I would say to visualize yourself running up cleanly, planting, take-off, swing, etc. Visualization is practice when you're not at the pit. You must first see it inside, and it will manifest outside. See it in your mind, then believe it. You can do it! GOOD LUCK!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree this is a time that will be difficult to make any major changes, even though they are ultimately desirable for your progress as a vaulter. That being said, I feel there is one change you could probably incorporate since it can be practiced anywhere just using a stubby.

In virtually every vault/drill on your video your head position at take off (and following) is biased toward having your chin on your chest (looking down). I would suggest you would benefit greatly by incorporating the following change. From the time of your penultimate step, have your eyes follow the top of your bottom hand as it moves to the plant/take off position. This helps get your body in a better position to jump up off your take off foot which will help you lead with your chest. Please note I am not suggesting you throw your head way back. To see the difference I am suggesting, stand in a plant position with arms up and look at the sloping part of the pad directly behind the plant box. This is where your head is in your video. Now, keeping your eyes in a neutral position, simply tip your head up just enough to have your eyes look over the top of your bottom hand. By just doing this you will feel your chest move forward and your hands become even higher than they were when your head was in the 'down looking' position.

This will need to be practiced (drills) a lot to teach yourself to do it automatically, but it can be learned fairly quickly. Your video shows you are doing a lot of things well and this small change can make all of those things even more effective. Good Luck.

(PS If you do this well, I predict you will need at least one pole heavier than you were using in the video. And you will likely be able to grip higher. So keep that in mind and have poles ready.)
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Another thing. You are blocking out some. You need to focus on pressing up with your left arm. It doesnt have tobe completely straight. But it does need to go up and not out forward. By pushing up and not forward you will allow your chest to drive forward at take off and not your hips. You are blowing through with these poles also.

bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby bb12334 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 pm

So I ended up jumping badly at my state meet so my season is over. However, with a long time now to work, I have decided to completely revamp my takeoff. Here is my latest video where I am focusing solely on pressing more with my arms, and having a legitimate drive phase. As you can see I just naturally swing up as soon as I take off which kills my penetration. The thing I was confused about was that I am bending my pole a lot but then it is simply unbending straight back up. It is almost as if I am crushing the pole without achieving any penetration. One of my teammates thought it was just because I wasn't pressing or driving long enough. But if someone could help me that would be very appreciated. At the end I take a few jumps at 12 just for fun and they felt better. On some of them I was actually able to penetrate on the new larger pole. Technically they were pretty sloppy, but the takeoff is improving so I am sufficiently happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9udS-U7 ... el&list=UL

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Tory » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Look at your left hand/arm at the plant. It's already collapsed. When you plant, you want to jump and drive into the pit. Your hands must be as high as possible. Basically, jump as high and hard as you can with your hands as high as possible. The goal is to move the pole to vertical, and we do that by jumping our highest and placing our hands in the highest position possible.

Your bottom hand should come to right above your head if you are truly opening up the chest and driving in. I don't see that with these jumps in the videos. You've got your chest as tense and powerful as possible, when we really need more of a gymnast's controlled swing.

Search YouTube and this forum for examples of a proper plant and take-off. Keep posting videos. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”