5 lefts practice

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
mcm123
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school (class of 2013)
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

5 lefts practice

Unread postby mcm123 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm

This is a video of a 5 lefts practice from a little over a month ago. my focus in the video is on the top end, staying close and coming off the pole aggressivly.
any comments on things to improve and how to do so would be awesome.

thanks - matt

INFO:
run: 5 lefts
pole:14' 155
grip: 13'3"
bungee: 14'11"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHZUFupyeQ

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: 5 lefts practice

Unread postby altius » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:15 am

Even if you are 'focussing on the top end' we need to see the whole vault from the first step, if we are to provide useful feedback. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

mcm123
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school (class of 2013)
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby mcm123 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 am

ok thanks, any advise you can give me off what you saw or no...? i'll film my run from the 1st step at my next practice so you can provide better information.

Thanks
-Matt

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Okay, so what I did here was to pause the video in you tube and advance the cursor to basically get some stop frame images during the vault. First of all, your take off looks great: angle of attack is good (takeoff appears slightly out, which I prefer) and you have really initiated the jump by the time the pole is beginning to bend and the top hand appears fully extended. The first part of the swing looks good; the trail leg is nice and long and the drive knee looks nice and high.
I would invite some feedback from other coaches/athletes on my next thoughts as basically at this point in the vault, it is my understanding that there is a divergence in technique or style. Additionally, your thoughts and perspectives will assist me as well as the vaulter.
My thoughts are this: in the second part of your swing, you are swinging to a tucked position which may be a goal of yours if you are trying to "tuck and shoot", if that is the case then my feedback may not apply.
In the current style and technique that we are working on I would critique you to swing to a piked position where the feet are closer to the top hand and the legs are much more straight (slight functional bend is ok): from the pike positon you would then "close off" or complete the swing by extending your hips towards your hands (the same movement reinforced through power cleans and bubkas). Use all of the momentum and energy that you develop so well in the first part of your vault to swing powerfully and fast: when your body wants to tuck, instead go ahead and break at the hips and swing to pike instead of tucking your knees to your chest. Once in the pike position, extend the hips to your hands: no pause in movement.
Now here is the kicker, speed in the swing and extension is primary: your take off and full body extension prior to your swing and the first part of your swing is great keep that up as it transfers energy into the system and pole well. The moment where you start to swing, your goal is to swing quickly and powerfully to the pike and the hip extension: the goal is to be as fluid and continuous as possible.
You can train this aspect through ring work, bubkas and cleans/power cleans (focus on technique and speed in the movements): I would caution you to keep your repetitions and weight lower to focus on the quality of movement and speed of execution.
-V
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”