4 Lefts...Advice

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
PvMick
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter, Current Collegiate Vaulter

4 Lefts...Advice

Unread postby PvMick » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:09 pm

This was my second practice, first was all straight pole... I have a been having trouble for a while with my top end... usually my left leg drops out and off to the right... It takes any energy that I receive from the pole going up right out... The first link is a decent vault, I keep that leg straighter than usual... Second link is what happens a lot of the time, I have been having a bit of trouble keeping it up with my right leg... Just wanted a mini critique, we are not allowed to have official practices for a bit so this was an unofficial "training session" been mostly sprinting and lifting to get back into vault shape...One thing that even I forget about is that it is early and also it is a small pole and short run so some technical mistakes in the take off/swing that look very wrong are usually not as bad as I get in better shape and use larger poles/runs... Thank you for checking this out!!! Love getting new perspectives, so lay into me if you have to!
Specs:
Height- 5-6
Weight- 150
Pole- 14- 170
Grip- 13-4
Bungee- 15-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96e6hgu ... e=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3RGprL ... e=youtu.be

p/s video are unlisted so use the links to view

Thank you again!!!

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: 4 Lefts...Advice

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

***Edited See Asterix***
Take off looks awesome, slight bend in top arm at pole plant/take off- not much at all really, remember that the goal to strive for is to have it fully extended.

Drive knee and take off leg both look good: the first part of the swing of the trail leg to the pole chord looks good. After that is where I have concerns: when you pull your knees to your chest, you are losing all of the swing velocity that you generated with your super sweet takeoff. Additionally, at the same time or slightly following you are trying to muscle your torso up with a Lat pull which is necessary but not yet.

Better, instead of pulling your knees to your chest to get your feet near your top hand, utilize your swing momentum to swing that nice long takeoff leg to your to your top hand; swing to a pike position by bending at the hips using the swing momentum and straightening your drive knee near the end of the movement. Spend some time getting the hamstrings nice and limber and stretched out. Executing the swing properly with force and speed and you will be thankful for the extra flexibility: a slight functional bend is okay.

Now, you can pull with the lats forcefully and drive the hips to the top hand with a powerclean/Bubka movement: prior to this your arms will have been pulled closer to your lats more through the swing energy than the forced rowing movement in your video.

PvMick wrote:... I have a been having trouble for a while with my top end... usually my left leg drops out and off to the right... It takes any energy that I receive from the pole going up right out... The first link is a decent vault...I have been having a bit of trouble keeping it up with my right leg...

Executing the swing and hip extension with speed and force will place you in a better position on the top end of the vault ahead of the straightening of the pole: practice this first before worrying about the top of the vault, go down in pole and grip more so in grip than pole. I would be surprised if you are not blowing through the pole your on at the same grip when you execute the swing and closeoff/hip extension in this manner.
I am confident that this will place you in the inverted position at a point in time further ahead of/earlier than your current technique is. Subsequently, the top end will be easier; right now your trying to out muscle gravity on the top end and gravity is winning, which is why your having the top end struggles that you are. Your swing to inversion is late in relation to the straightening of the pole; additionally, you never really commit to the inversion in your current technique. This is evident when you look at the video as your legs, torso and hips have a good alignment; however, your shoulders and back are rolled forward and your chin is tucked in as I suspect you are spotting the bungee/bar with your eyes the entire time. Go ahead and practice committing to the inversion with a strong back and trapezius extension which brings the torso fully into alignment. Subsequently, you'll be able to regain sight of the bar/bungee in your turn when you do vault with it.

**Refrain from throwing the head back in the swing-your not doing this now, and I don't want you to misinterpret what is being said above: I see vaulters do this and in the described methodology it is not necessary nor desirable and it is my position that it is not safe. When you execute the hip extension/Bubka your head will be in the right position: allow yourself to overcome the "Need" to keep your eyes on the bar.

You can train this aspect through ring work, bubkas and cleans/power cleans (focus on technique and speed in the movements): I would caution you to keep your repetitions and weight lower to focus on the quality of movement and speed of execution.

PvMick wrote:...One thing that even I forget about is that it is early and also it is a small pole and short run so some technical mistakes in the take off/swing that look very wrong are usually not as bad as I get in better shape and use larger poles/runs...

Learn to LOVE the short runs: in fact practice the changes outlined from a closer run at first making certain that you are landing in the pit safely as you learn and adapt to the new movements and forces. As stated prior, practice swinging to pike and closing off with the hip extension first and then let me know how much easier and more productive your top end is. One final note on the short runs is they reveal flaws in execution that are easily hidden when you back the run up and add speed which is not a good thing; common yes, but you want to be better than common right?

As stated at the first of this post your approach, takeoff and pole plant look really nice: let us know how it goes and I look forward to seeing the subsequent video. Remember, short approach runs and safe landing in the pit first and work up in pole, grip and run from there. Also, dont forget the flexibility of the hamstrings prior to including this, during incorporation, and regularly after this; I am concerned that you could generate enough energy in your swing to pull a muscle otherwise. Work this in progressively as stated and keep us posted.

Albert Einsein wrote: "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

-V
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”