For Altius

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

For Altius

Unread postby RPVA03 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

For Altius. If anyone wants to comment as well, feel free. Any feedback would be appreciated.

She is a third year vaulter and we have been working a lot on her run. There are some before and after videos so you can get an idea of what the run looked like before and after. She is on 12' 6" 145-160/19.5-16.8 with grips of about 11' 6".

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8ojVcWuMM&feature=plcp

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: For Altius

Unread postby altius » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes running technique much improved - taller -high knees BUT should be off 12 strides! Al
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: For Altius

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:25 pm

altius wrote:Yes running technique much improved - taller -high knees BUT should be off 12 strides! Al

As you work on the track to run from 6Ls (12 strides) look to begin to incorporate the vertical pole carry at some point as you see fit: the problem with waiting too long is that it will impede the run, pole plant, and take off development. This should be advice that is in accord with the model: the only decision is when and how to begin to incorporate it.

The awesome thing about a free pole drop (PLACEMENT not really a drop) from a vertical carry is that is REQUIRES the athlete to get the feet down quickly and into the pole plant/take off FAST.While it is a pole PLACEMENT and not really a drop, you can't try to HOLD the pole from falling either, not until it is PLACED in the box during the pole plant. The athlete may feel like it is happening too fast on the track, that is normal and okay: keep up the repetitions to reinforce the new movement and keep up the encouragement as the vaulter may feel discouraged and easily frustrated. The pole drop is initiated near the 6 step mid mark and we plant into a soft bag as I am not really a fan of the heavier slide boxes. Keep a watchful eye from rep to rep as the old pattern of carrying near a 45 deg angle can sneak back in and reappear easily as the athlete tries to compensate for the timing. Also, watch for any delays in the fluid drop or lowering of the pole as it is an indication that the athlete is gripping or holding the pole to adjust the timing and will undermine the benefits realized in the speed maintained through takeoff.

We made the change as we have been working on the PP/TO timing transition from 6Ls to 8Ls: once I could see that the vaulter was chasing the pole into the box, with high hands and a jump impulse we moved our old mark in 6in. to compensate for the changes in stride pattern: I resisted the urge to move the run closer too quick as I wanted to make sure the hands and the impulse were happening first. The Free Pole Placement from vertical really changed the runway numbers that much and the best thing was the change in cadence and quickness in getting the feet down through the takeoff. If there are any other suggestions out there in re: to this concept, please chime in as it will assist our development as well. We picked up some solid drill progressions in reference to this on the same facebook page where the historic PV photos and Videos were being posted: made it really seamless to begin to incorporate the concept into our track runway work. I will post some video as soon as we are able to vault again, and if I can clarify any of the above just ask.

In the last video clip it looks like she has a "blow through", which is great: not that she over flexes the pole, but that she developed enough swing energy and power that it carried her deeper into the pit: she blew through her grip height (thats the STUFF you want!!) and you can move up an inch at a time when it happens. Kudos to both of you, looks like you have an athlete in which you and her both have interpreted the model excellently: all young vaulters should be so lucky.
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”