HOWS IT LOOKING?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: HOWS IT LOOKING?

Unread postby CoachEric » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 am

The slowing stride pattern is the result of low pole carry. It's impossible not to decelerate if the bottom hand drops below the elbow, because it moves the center of mass of the vaulter/pole system out in front of the vaulter. The vaulter is forced to compensate by adjusting run posture, forcing deceleration.

The low left hand also lengthens the path of the hands during the plant motion. Because the vaulter cannot move asynchronously, the feet time up with the hands during this long plant motion and decelerate further.

I should have made this more clear in my previous post. I made the corrections to 1) narrow the grip, 2) place the left elbow under the pole with the wrist cocked up, and 3) to allow the right hand to move up and back behind the torso. These three points will help to correct the pole carry, which is a prerequisite to being able to accelerate into the box. In fact, when executed correctly, a good pole drop into a quick, straight line plant motion will FORCE quick feet so that the vaulter really doesn't have to think much about it.

And I wouldn't use Hollis as an example. He has similar pole carry issues that cause him to block and break the swing.

straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

Unread postby straightup » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:32 pm

wow thanks for all the responses. i am actually smiling at the fact that i have someone to help me out. i am very grateful for the help!. i will work on it and hopefully soon be posting another pr video :) heres a video of an earlier meet jumps at 13 and 13-6. gripping 13 on a 175 skypole from 6 lefts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbuK11iC ... NSAk_Vk-pQ
get over or get out

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 pm

CoachEric wrote:The slowing stride pattern is the result of low pole carry. It's impossible not to decelerate if the bottom hand drops below the elbow, because it moves the center of mass of the vaulter/pole system out in front of the vaulter. The vaulter is forced to compensate by adjusting run posture, forcing deceleration.

The low left hand also lengthens the path of the hands during the plant motion. Because the vaulter cannot move asynchronously, the feet time up with the hands during this long plant motion and decelerate further.

I should have made this more clear in my previous post. I made the corrections to 1) narrow the grip, 2) place the left elbow under the pole with the wrist cocked up, and 3) to allow the right hand to move up and back behind the torso. These three points will help to correct the pole carry, which is a prerequisite to being able to accelerate into the box. In fact, when executed correctly, a good pole drop into a quick, straight line plant motion will FORCE quick feet so that the vaulter really doesn't have to think much about it.

ALL TRUE -- IN THEORY! INDEED PETROV MADE THE POINT SPECIFICALLY IN HIS ORIGINAL BIRMINGHAM PAPER IN 1985 THAT THE PROPERLY EXECUTED POLE DROP WILL ENCOURAGE AN INCREASE IN CADENCE.

However as I indicated in BTB2 my experience suggests that a good pole plant DOES NOT automatically 'FORCE quick feet so that the vaulter doesn't have to really think much about it! This is because the vaulter has to learn the specific running technique required to run fast under control while manipulating a long lever. In fact they actually have to relearn how to run like a pole vaulter - after years of running in sport where their stride length AUTOMATICALLY increased - as their speed increased.

It is for this reason that all vaulters should include 20/20 and/or 20/25 drills (Which they must execute while running as fast as they can - so I believe Bubka had a time of around 3.2??seconds for this drill. Agapit who taught me it would know that statistic.) These should be done in their training on a regular basis - we do 2/3 before every full approach session - because it takes a long time to extinguish old movement patterns. Experience suggests that even good 'runners' may take up to five sessions to be able to get 20 steps in in 20 metres - good vaulters coming to this drill for the first time often only manage 12 -14 and get quite frustrated.

That said it is still easier that improving the overall planting action especially during the competition season. That can only done through repetitive drills emphasizing the perfect movement pattern – in the off season –and then executed at the beginning of every practice as part of the warm up. 6 step plants walking, trotting, running, sprinting, sprinting to jump to touch a bungy.

As I look at US vaulters at many levels –certainly including some of the leading high school vaulters – this is the weakest element of their technique. A pity for two reason. First Petrov continually emphasizes that “the vaulter is born in the last steps of the run up” and spends considerable time of perfecting the plant and secondly because it does not require fantastic athleticism to master –only plenty of perfect practice –which can be done at home in the barn!!!!

Obviously vaulters are not going to transfer the 20/20 drill straight into their run up -they are using it only to learn to control their stride length. So now they use the mid mark as a cue to 'change gear and try to hold their stride length to the same as it was on the penultimate stride into the mid' - instead of allowing it –as it would naturally - to continue to extend. This means that the athlete increases speed over the last six steps by increasing their cadence – rate of stride – instead of by increasing their stride length. This keeps the hips high and enables them to prepare to jump up at take off. It also allows them to cope with changing wind conditions in the critical period prior to take off.

Since all of this is dealt with on pages 219/220 of BTB2 I don’t propose to add any more except to repeat what I said in BTB. If you can only do one drill to improve your vaulting – make it the 20/20 drill!!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

Unread postby straightup » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 pm

are there any other drills i can work on with hand placement during the plant motion?
get over or get out

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”