Why am I not Penetrating

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
brad757johnson
PV Newbie
Expertise: HS/ college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.80
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Why am I not Penetrating

Unread postby brad757johnson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz7f9PB1i_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htSDvZsE6Sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnYk8E44r-I

Here are a few videos from a few weeks ago. I am getting plenty of hip height and I am not gripping extremely high only about 14'9 on a 16.5flex 4.70M. I know I am tucking my trail leg up a bit when I swing but that has never really affected my penetration into the pit. I think it has more to do with the fact that when I jump theres is a sort of sink in the pole and I dont keep pressure on the top hand. If anyone has any sort of tips or or advice that would be greatly appreciated.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: Why am I not Penetrating

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 pm

brad757johnson wrote:Here are a few videos from a few weeks ago. I am getting plenty of hip height and I am not gripping extremely high only about 14'9 on a 16.5flex 4.70M. I know I am tucking my trail leg up a bit when I swing but that has never really affected my penetration into the pit. I think it has more to do with the fact that when I jump theres is a sort of sink in the pole and I dont keep pressure on the top hand. If anyone has any sort of tips or or advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Brad, I want to include a few thoughts and observations; I am hopeful that they are helpful.

On each of the 3 vaults you are landing on the right side of the coaches box: my thoughts are that this is another result and causal indicator of your technical concerns.

IMHO,
your vault will benefit from 2 cues
1) fully extended Take Off
2) EFFECTIVE/POWERFUL Swing

In my observation, your deflection to the right is most likely resulting from an anticipated EARLY pull with the top arm. Also, while your trail leg swings long, it is apparent that you are forcing the rock back early in a muscular way and not utilizing your swing momentum to cover the pole and invert. As a result, not only are you having to work harder to get inverted, you are not getting the pole to roll past vertical: this is directly a result of the loss of swing momentum which is keeping you from landing deeper in the pit.

I have intentionally kept this post short in order to keep the focus on the 2 points of emphasis -
PURSUITOF2016

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Take a look at the way Tim Mack used his left leg after take off.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

altius wrote:Take a look at the way Tim Mack used his left leg after take off.

here's a link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S99U2ua3OA
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

In fact, "Rock Back" is not a cue that I utilize personally - our squad did ring work today and as some athletes are new, their ring work resembled your inversion with a muscled effort... the idea is to utilize the momentum of the trail leg to whip through and generate momentum into a more effortless inversion that will give you more centripetal force and momentum which will move your Cpole/top grip past vertical in a more effective manner than your current methods.

This should remedy the feeling that you are not keeping pressure on the pole through your top hand...

Quite frankly, once you have more energy from your swing momentum, not only are you going to land deeper in the pit, you are going to blow through poles as well...
PURSUITOF2016

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm

coachjvinson wrote:In fact, "Rock Back" is not a cue that I utilize personally - our squad did ring work today and as some athletes are new, their ring work resembled your inversion with a muscled effort... the idea is to utilize the momentum of the trail leg to whip through and generate momentum into a more effortless inversion that will give you more centripetal force and momentum which will move your Cpole/top grip past vertical in a more effective manner than your current methods.

This should remedy the feeling that you are not keeping pressure on the pole through your top hand...

Quite frankly, once you have more energy from your swing momentum, not only are you going to land deeper in the pit, you are going to blow through poles as well...

:yes:
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”