Knee drive - any other comments?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
HornetPVCoach
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 8'0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Knee drive - any other comments?

Unread postby HornetPVCoach » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi - I have two videos of a couple vaulters here in the early season. Looking for some comments/suggestions.

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4d6rdp8G9U
18 year old senior, vaulting for 4 years. Currently on a 12'6 120 pole - top grip around 10'6 I think (not sure exactly because we just started the season). Attempting an 8'6 bar (this is her PR from last year). She is going from a 4 step in this video.

She has had a knee drive problem and tries to work on it - but looking for suggestions....she hasn't had much luck correcting the knee drive. Any recommended drills? She vaults very shallow at 8'6 and higher attempts I think because of the knee drive but what else am I missing? Trying to make the most of her senior season.

Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMmUv0DCR4
15 year old freshman, vaulting for 3 days. Currently on a 13' 160 - top grip around 10'6. Attempting a 9'0 bar. 5 step approach.

He tends to spin in the air, it doesn't look too bad in this video clip. What should I suggest to make him go straighter and get more penetration into the pit? He also doesn't have a lot of knee drive and goes a little flat over the bar. I know he is so new but I want to start him out doing things correctly.

Thanks!

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Re: Knee drive - any other comments?

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 pm

The first thing I noticed is some safety concerns. The standards bases need to be covered that is why they come with base pads. Also, the poles laying on the mats should not be there. In the video, I can see exposed concrete around the standards as well as exposed wooden palettes. We all try to vault as safe as possible every day out, but it only takes one bad jump and someone's life could be ruined.

straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

Re: Knee drive - any other comments?

Unread postby straightup » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 pm

forget the knee drive, she needs to be pushing the pole, as soon as she takes off she immediately pulls it very close to her body.
get over or get out

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”