Thoughts please???

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
vernon1985
PV Beginner
Expertise: high school coach, college coach, Private Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Thoughts please???

Unread postby vernon1985 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 pm

I realize my vaulter is about a foot or so under... the bar is at 9 feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsH8EaaEntU

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Thoughts please???

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Two biggest Issues:
1. The back and forth motion with the arms during her run is causing her to hesitate in the middle of the plant motion and plant low
2. She stops her swing by rowing her hands down when she sees the bar (this is exacerbated by her low plant)

She needs to do plenty of pole runs and correct the way she carries the pole. Refer to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv13Wyyu ... ata_player
She needs to do walking slow motion plant drills and practice planting in 3 steps and reaching full extension with both arms at takeoff.
She should practice swinging over a bungee with a straight pole to teach her not to row or pull early.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Eric, what do you think about also putting in the swing and pivot to get her to turn. ( I don't use the word "turn" around the kids, it ends up being swing around the pole)

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Yeah, she should definitely be turning, but I avoid cueing it when possible. I think it starts to happen naturally when vaulters learn to keep the arms up and swing, so I agree with your description. One way to teach it is to put the vaulter on a small pole and tell them to "swing to the back of the pit, land on your stomach." Teaching the turn over a bar or bungee can sometimes confuse an athlete because it can have a distracting effect.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”