Getting Inverted

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Chaebo
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Assistant Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Getting Inverted

Unread postby Chaebo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 pm

I am a new coach and am very happy(Proud) with the results my athletes have been bringing in. But, I always value others opinions for that is how I originally learned to vault in the first place. So, I am interested in hearing other peoples opinions on what it will take to get my vaulter inverted.

He is a HS Sophomore
3rd year Vaulting
Pole is a 14' 165lbs.
Vaulter 135lbs. 5'5
The Bar is at 13'
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2vTv_OL ... detailpage[/url]

My personal opinion is that his takeoff/drive is a tad weak and could use a little more umph behind the chest and that he needs to create space between him and the pole to continue helping his hips rise. I also, believe this is partially due to a pre-mature swing.

Since this jump we have made several jumps where we are able to get our back parallel to the ground but still do not continue rising like I would like to see. By, Extending the front arm upward to create more space.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: Getting Inverted

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm

My humble opinion: Looks like he brings the right hand up and around at the plant. The take off, inverted "C" and rotation of the take off leg appear to be long and powerful. He appears to have enough energy in the system to keep swinging. He starts to row with his arms when he should be trying to punch his hips up and drop his shoulders back. He looks like a great athlete.

I have seen a slight improvement in one of my youngsters. He is working at driving his hips up and making a little progress. I look for it to click soon.

Chaebo
PV Fan

Unread postby Chaebo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank You! And you are totally correct about his top hand rounding to the plant it is a work in progress. As for the dropping the shoulders and bringing the hips up I would still like to see his hips rise to ATLEAST shoulder height before teaching the drop and rip phase any ideas, suggestions, or anything that you may have done to see improvements in your vaulters?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Take a look at Wendy Young doing swing and inversion drills on the BTB dvd. But the plant must be improved sooner rather than later. Ideally the right hand should not move back behind the right hip.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Chaebo
PV Fan

Unread postby Chaebo » Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 pm

We are starting to make improvements. The plant has come along very well (Now closer to the Hip) and we have had several that our hips have started to rise. He does have the energy to rotate when we put the bungee high and it forces him to roll back further. He started to rip and his hips continued up but he didn't finish dropping his shoulders. I know what I'm looking for but I'm looking for Cues to help him. He's done it now. It's time to continue doing it and make it a habit. With State qualifying just around the corner there is no better time than now.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”