4.80m Jump. What should I work on?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
kcNiner
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.80m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Holzdeppe

4.80m Jump. What should I work on?

Unread postby kcNiner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:10 pm

I already have an idea of things I need to work on, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The board reads 4.65 but the official was in the process of changing it as i was the first in the order to attempt the height

Bar Height: 4.80m
Standards: 80cm
Pole: 14'7 UCS 16.8
Grip: 14'1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irBEEmXPZh8

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: 4.80m Jump. What should I work on?

Unread postby CoachEric » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Notice how you're a little off balance at takeoff? This is because of the way you carry the pole with a straight left wrist, and because you subsequently initiate your plant with a forward and down motion with the left arm.

Adjust your pole carry so that the left elbow is downtucked close to the body, with the wrist cocked up to support the pole from underneath. Allow the pole tip to drop by controlling the motion with the right arm behind the body, and keeping the left forearm close to the torso. Do not allow the pole tip to cross below eye level before you start to plant.

The result will be that you will be more on balance at takeoff, allowing you to be more powerful and to direct your energy upward, rather than leaning forward into the box like you are now.

You also might be a bit out on this vault. Use DJ's mid mark chart.

kcNiner
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.80m
Favorite Vaulter: Holzdeppe

Unread postby kcNiner » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I just feel like keeping the left elbow tucked is constricting. Letting arms bounce and that elbow chicken wing out feels more natural. We all know pole vault is largely mental so is the increased efficiency of the drop, plant, and takeoff worth the perceived decrease in efficiency of the run and carry?

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Yes it is that important. Your pole carry is causing you to takeoff off balance, which is a big issue.

You should also find that when you change your pole carry, you will actually be able to run more relaxed, not less. Both of your arms should be relaxed and have a slight bounce while running. It will also be easier to support the weight of the pole with your hand kept underneath it. If you keep the left elbow down and pull the right elbow up as you accelerate toward takeoff, you shoud find that there is less tension in the run because you will be more on balance.

I think you should also start with your pole a bit higher.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 am

[quote="kcNiner"] Letting arms bounce and that elbow chicken wing out feels more natural. We all know pole vault is largely mental."

Sorry to disagree but some of us believe that success in the vault is largely dependent on good technique allied with good all round physical qualities.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:53 am

altius wrote:
kcNiner wrote: Letting arms bounce and that elbow chicken wing out feels more natural. We all know pole vault is largely mental."

Sorry to disagree but some of us believe that success in the vault is largely dependent on good technique allied with good all round physical qualities.

Yes, proper and sound technique allows the vaulter to feel confident, lowering the mental requirements. It's when you are trying to overcome technical inabilities, that pole vaulting becomes more mental than what is desired.

A structured run up, pole carry and plant, allows for consistent speed at take-off, allowing safe and confidence inducing jumps.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”