First trainnings

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Jumpin'Joker
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

First trainnings

Unread postby Jumpin'Joker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:07 am

Please take a look to my last post in the topic "Starting from zero" viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37335 I'm publishing this one before the last one in that topic was approved and there are some questions I think quite important to me.

This is the first training work with my young daughter. I think this pole (6'8") is too short.

First of all, the grip:

CIMG2318 (Mobile).JPG
CIMG2318 (Mobile).JPG (50.88 KiB) Viewed 9091 times

I think is correct, but please confirm.

Then, some videos:
I this one, I see two problems:
1. Right arm not straight.
2. She 'hang' on the pole and the chest hits the pole. Doesn't 'pass' the pole.
http://youtu.be/_Ef57x-NmDY

Second video:
2.1. Right arm is more extendedn, but not fully extended
2.2. Still hitting the chest against the pole
http://youtu.be/SwY4jT6eU_w

Third video:
This one is at the end of the training work.
3.1. Arm extension is much better
3.2. She still turns slightly against the pole.
In any case, I think pole is too short. If she tries tu jump higher when planting the pole, then she bends the right arm.
http://youtu.be/QUa3-X9XxJk

Let me have your comments. I'm planning to do one more workout tomorrow Wednesday before going further.

Any idea about next drills?

Thank you!

Daniel

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: First trainnings

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 am

The Grip:
Wrap the thumb around the pole and grip the pole with the whole hand. Do not line the thunbs up with the pole. When she pushes the pole overhead into this plant position, her bicep should be against her cheek. In this image, she is pushing the pole too far out in front of her.

The videos:
1. Don't worry about her chest bumping into the pole. It is better for her to get comfortable staying behind the pole.
2. The important thing is that she learns to avoid pulling as she transfers weight to the pole. This is the first lesson a beginning vaulter should learn. Teach her to push the pole overhead for as long as possible, and let the left hand rise above her head. If she does this correctly, her chest should bump into the pole.
3. You're right, she is ready for a longer pole, but it would be best if she did these drills in the sand or into a pit.

Read this for more beginner drills. http://artofthevault.com/articles/pole- ... ry-school/

Jumpin'Joker
PV Newbie

Unread postby Jumpin'Joker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Thank you, CoachEric.

I've seen diferent grips and the one we used was ovbiously wrong. We will start with this next workout and will follow with drill shown in the link you sent.

We will leave planting the pole as described in 'Planting the pole, simplified and specified) for a second workout if she makes well grades 1, 2 and 3. I will record them.

Daniel

Jumpin'Joker
PV Newbie

Unread postby Jumpin'Joker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:53 pm

I found a source of longer stiff poles, so now we have 2,5 meters (8'4'') and 3 meters (10 ft). The one in the video is 2,5 meters.

I also received 'From beginner to Bubkka...' book and DVDs and they are very good, so first think I did was making her holding the pole with the right hand above her shoulder.

Her higher standing grip is 1,70 meters (5ft 8in) and in this video she's jumping having the grip at 2,25 m (7ft 6in) so around 50 cm (20 in) higher.

http://youtu.be/SmFQHqK3gLg

My plan is going on with drills described at 'from beginner...' as first trainings and the start using the 'low' grip for the run up.

Just 2 questions:

1. What about the video? it looks, quite good to me, but I'm learning at the same time she does, so there are probably some points to improve.
2. She is running too slowly. Probably she's not still confident about running and she's mainly focusing in planting the pole. I think next step could be whiping with the take off foot and next one twisting to fall facing the pole. Do you think we can do it now or it is better to increase her running speed before?

Thank you in advance!

Daniel

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 am

That's quite good. Next is to teach her to plant in 3 steps. I personally prefer not to teach swinging and turning in the sand pit. If there is a pole vault pit for her to jump on, this is better, because it will allow her the confidence to swing her hips all the way to the pole. The sand pit will force her to cut her swing short and pull.

Don't worry about the speed of her run this early. She is learning new skills and they will take time before she can apply speed and power.

Sindenote: she should not point her toe when she drives her knee. Keep the foot flexed up.

NEVaultFan
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby NEVaultFan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Yes quite good, row more.

IMHO

NEVaultFan
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby NEVaultFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 am

[b]Joker
That last post was a little bit of an inside joke.

But seriously she is doing a nice job off the ground feeling the up pressure and learning to be elastic. She's leaning right a little and needs to focus on staying centered behind the pole. BTB2 has great examples of sand work in this phase. Notice the strong connection between the top hand and take off foot viewed from behind on BTB2 footage.

Now the row part: in simple terms, get her to land 4-5 feet deep/ further in the sand pit.

When she finishes the take off have her keep moving the handle with pressure through the pole not against the pole.(cannot finish past pole if your pushing against the pole) This will create more pole speed and vaulter speed. Have her try to "get on top" of the pole and finish way past the top hand. She should be taught to finish this drill accelerating and running out through the back of the pit. She's learning to accelerate the pole and herself always. When you have a chance to go to the pad, she should try to do the same except now allow her to bring (or swing) the body through never losing pole or vaulter acceleration. Trying to land as far past the top hand as possible. This is the first phases of learning the flyaway / superman drill.

Want to create more powerful swing, create more elastic tension. This is one of our sports "stretch reflex's"

IMHO

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”