Finishing the top end

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Finishing the top end

Unread postby CoachEric » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks Altius. Folks like you and Kirk and I might quibble occasionally, but at least you guys are highly qualified sh**talkers ;), and I welcome your constructive criticism.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 am

Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.

~ John Wooden

;) :yes:
PURSUITOF2016

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re the definition of "rowing", and re the question of whether or not Bubka rows, and re the question of whether or not rowing is good or bad, I'm in 100% agreement with Altius and CoachEric. :yes:

The vaulter's intent is what matters, and he or she should NOT be purposely trying to row!

Focus on the vault parts BEFORE the upswing. Bubka doesn't need to apply any force with his arms (i.e. row) during his upswing, because he's already generated sufficient rotational momentum on his downswing - and all other vault parts before that!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

NEVaultFan
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby NEVaultFan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks Coachjvinson for the Wooden quote if that was directed for me.

First let me apologize for my opening statement, it should have been delivered with "IMHO I think Bubka is rowing" my delivery was not appropriate. My goal was however to argue or better yet to make the point that: Everybodys definision of "is" is not the same.

IMHO I think Bubka is "making a move on the pole with his muscular system / shoulder gurdle to set the pole, create space to swing in and "tap" on the cord of the pole. Now I've heard the argument/ discussion that it only appears this way but in reality his hands are just following the movement of the pole but I believe that this is not the case.

It's true that I may not have tremendous experience coaching the vault but the person I mainly do get my information and reference from does. He tries to get his vaulters to move the pole the way Bubka does and he uses the term "row" although has been using the term "set" the pole more often.

IMHO I don't feel he is ignorant and I know he is not inexperienced.

I regards to the video, because that is what this post is about until I inappropriately took it off course. I, IMHO think one of the progressions the vaulter should try is putting his hands together and sliding the pole (or carrying, but tough with such a narrow grip) from say a 2 or 4 step making sure he can stay long in the swing and inverting getting his right thigh to his right hand. IMHO I think it's important/ crucial to do this with an out step. IMHO I think he should start with a low grip landing deep in the pad with perfect execution then raise the grip a fist at a time, adjusting run up/ take off appropriately. Good time to feel the "jump then hit" sequence. Swing a straight leg to the cord of the pole, which is the pole because your on a non bending pole, then break at the hips to accelerate swing. If and when you get feet to hands, straighten out, extend punching hips up and shoulder in direction of landing pad staying very tight to the pole. If and when this is done correctly you then can use your arms trying to time the completition of the extension with a pulling of the arms. But this final step is not necessary right now. We call this lining up with the pole. If your on the right pole and you keep getting better and raising your grip eventually the pole may/ will bend, now you have a whole different learning experience to master because the real pole is now moving away from you. This is where most vaulters will push the pole away from them and put or throw their head back hoping this will help. It will not! Remember there's no "back" in pole vaulting IMHO. You don't "get back" , "go back" or"rock back". Run up, jump up, swing up!' All of these should be forward, in action and thought.

IMHO

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:39 pm

:yes:
I like the direction this is going...
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:44 pm

:yes: :yes:
NEVaultFan wrote:...4 step making sure he can stay long in the swing and inverting getting his right thigh to his right hand. IMHO I think it's important/ crucial to do this with an out step. IMHO I think he should start with a low grip landing deep in the pad with perfect execution then raise the grip a fist at a time, adjusting run up/ take off appropriately. Good time to feel the "jump then hit" sequence. Swing a straight leg to the cord of the pole, which is the pole because your on a non bending pole, then break at the hips to accelerate swing. If and when you get feet to hands, straighten out, extend punching hips up and shoulder in direction of landing pad staying very tight to the pole...
IMHO
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:01 pm

NEVaultFan wrote: If and when you get feet to hands, straighten out, extend punching hips up and shoulder in direction of landing pad staying very tight to the pole...
IMHO

^^this specifically...
and again I would emphasize shins/knees to the hands with a purposeful and powerful swing...

3 left popups/supermans - emphasis on powerful swing to full inversion and then finish the top end...

then...

transfer the skill to a bending pole from four lefts.... then 6... then 8 etc... etc..

if you have questions about run, grip, pole progressions, just ask/post/pm
V
Last edited by coachjvinson on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PURSUITOF2016

NEVaultFan
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby NEVaultFan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Cheers !!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”