Vaulter Not Swinging Through and Dropping Shoulders

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
marbaugh
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Volunteer College Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Vaulter Not Swinging Through and Dropping Shoulders

Unread postby marbaugh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 pm

I unfortunately do not currently have any video. I have posted a few more photos of her full vaults, end to end. Let me know if this helps, and I will get some video up in the next few days!

[url]https://plus.google.com/photos/102173975699700762311/albums/5989588181413066977?authkey=CJa94qu2zKTM4gE
[/url]

CoachEric wrote:Do you have any video of her that includes the approach run and plant? The still images of her swing look reasonably good, but that's the unimportant part of any feedback we could provide.

Given the first image in the series, where her left arm is already collapsed inside of the pole with her left hand directly in front of her face, I can guess that she is not creating very much space with her arms at the plant. Both arms should be as extended as possible at the instant before the pole tip hits the box, and then as the vaulter leaves the ground, the arms go elastic and allow the hands to travel back over the head. The left hand should be directly over the head as the swing is initiated.

A video on YouTube or Vimeo will make it easier to provide good feedback.

marbaugh
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Volunteer College Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Vaulter Not Swinging Through and Dropping Shoulders

Unread postby marbaugh » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:46 pm

I unfortunately do not currently have any video. I have posted a few more photos of her full vaults, end to end. Let me know if this helps, and I will get some video up in the next few days!

https://plus.google.com/photos/102173975699700762311/albums/5989588181413066977?authkey=CJa94qu2zKTM4gE

CoachEric wrote:Do you have any video of her that includes the approach run and plant? The still images of her swing look reasonably good, but that's the unimportant part of any feedback we could provide.

Given the first image in the series, where her left arm is already collapsed inside of the pole with her left hand directly in front of her face, I can guess that she is not creating very much space with her arms at the plant. Both arms should be as extended as possible at the instant before the pole tip hits the box, and then as the vaulter leaves the ground, the arms go elastic and allow the hands to travel back over the head. The left hand should be directly over the head as the swing is initiated.

A video on YouTube or Vimeo will make it easier to provide good feedback.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”