Help getting off ground

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
highschoolnewbe
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: coach

Help getting off ground

Unread postby highschoolnewbe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Been vaulting for a couple days, and are jumping on the pit but there are three girls that can not seem to get any height going up on to the pit. They put their drive legs up but it seams like they are missing something. We try it help each other in any way we can but I cant seam to pin point where it goes wrong. Is it the drive? the take off?
* yes they need better run thoughts
* yes they should not slow before they jump
http://youtu.be/Q2Pj4XNeTdI (copy paste link)

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Help getting off ground

Unread postby GasPasser » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 pm

The hand hold should be moved up, one handgrip (about 3") at a time, until the pole slowly moves past vertical. If the pole stops at or before reaching vertical, move the hands down a handgrip and make sure the vaulter is not pulling. Each time the handgrip is raised, move the starting point for the run back 1/2 shoe length. I think this vaulter will be there in 3-4 handgrips higher.
The things to stress are, jump up at take off, push the pole, don't pull with either hand, just ride the pole as it goes up and over. No swinging at this point, push the pole - the pole should be in the middle of the body (yes, the vaulter will "crash into the pole"), don't try to go around the pole during this drill. Keep the drive knee up the entire time. Ideally, drive knee, then the pole and hands should hit the pit before the body.

Check out these videos: http://artofthevault.com/articles/pole- ... ry-school/

When the vaulter is comfortable with the drill I gave you above, and is not pulling, then start swinging (step 5 in the link above).

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”