Help?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Trichster
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Help?

Unread postby Trichster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm a sophomore nearing the end of my season, and I have had a rough time when it comes to pole vaulting. I've been doing it for two years (only during the spring season),, but my first year I had a terrible coach. He taught us the old school pull up method which I have now tried to put away as it is a terrible method. He then stepped down and we were coachless the next season. This season we began with a college student as a coach who jumped 18'2", but to our dismay he left us. We currently have somewhat of a coach who comes sporadically throughout the week. I am posting these videos to get more knowledge about what I am doing and I would greatly appreciate any feedback. My current coach says my speed is there, but it looks dumb that i cannot convert that speed into a high jump, and I agree.

Today's Practice:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVqbvWwebms
PR (9'):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPz9WePD-g
Most Recent Meet: http://youtu.be/-nt40gaDvJU

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Re: Help?

Unread postby Skyfly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 am

You need to learn proper technique stiff pole jumping before going to a flexible pole. Until you learn to jump with your arms extended fully upward prior to takeoff and move the pole the vertical, you will continue to have issues.

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Unread postby willrieffer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:33 am

Generally try and have the video shot from about the take off out from the pit and side on as it reveals the most info.

On the last vid, even though its a push plant you still get the pole up far too late and off to the right. It's better the plant be too early than too late and off center plants lead to all sorts of bad things including hitting the standards and unwanted spinning in the vault. It also often causes you to hit the pole and kill the swing. Thus must be corrected to proceed any further. There are any number of plant drill videos on youtube. Also, do visualization drills on the correct plant. Do an imaginary vault in your head concentrating on enacting the elements of a good plant. Press the top arm up by your cheek and to full extension over the middle of your head.

Will

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 am

"Generally try and have the video shot from about the take off out" Or to put it another way - from the first step of the run up. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Unread postby willrieffer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm

altius wrote:"Generally try and have the video shot from about the take off out" Or to put it another way - from the first step of the run up. ;)

Indeed. Side shot of the full run and vault is best.

With this vaulter some back views are probably necessary as well for the offset plant problem. I have a girl with this problem and every once in a while I have to take a posterior view video to show her that yes, her plant is still off right.

PVstudent
PV Pro

Unread postby PVstudent » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am

I normally don't comment on the videos submitted by beginners but in this case I have to!

Yes, some people use a sliding pole run up but it is extremely limiting in the long term.

Back to square one and start to learn how to carry and plant the pole. Until you do this advice on technique is irrelevant.

Sorry to be a damp squib but if you are serious about learning to pole vault have a look at some decent vaulters. Utube has thousands of vaults you could look at.

Your coach, if you have one, should do the same, and both of you see where and how you go about learning to hold and carry the pole.

Fabulous book and DVD is available from this web site would be very helpful.

If you are serious you will work out what the product is and order it straight away.
Every new opinion at its starting, is precisely a minority of one!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”