Lots of things wrong with my vault

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
l_can
PV Newbie
Expertise: Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.60m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Lots of things wrong with my vault

Unread postby l_can » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi guys. I've been vaulting for about 4 months and currently am stuck at a point where a lot of things are going wrong and I'm overwhelmed with what to fix. My coach is great but I would like a different pair of eyes to see what's wrong.

On a 12'6" 140 Essx holding at 11' from 4 lefts.
http://youtu.be/YpoA_rFtBJw

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Lots of things wrong with my vault

Unread postby GasPasser » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 am

It's good that you recognize that there is a lot of things going wrong. I see several. I'm going to point them out and give you my suggestions, and hopefully, so videos that help you see how it's done correctly.

1. Run - 4 lefts is good for you to practice with at this point, 3 lefts is good too. What I see wrong is that your stride length is unbelievably long for a run that short. Your foot should land under your hips as you run tall up on the balls of your feet. You are reaching out with your foot, landing on your heal, and rolling/pulling your hips over your foot. Also, your run ends with you being in by about 2-feet at take-off. Without fixing anything else, if you started 2 feet further away (if you started at 50' move to 52'), you'd be in better position to takeoff. However, if you fix your over striding, you will need a new starting point. So you'll need to do a runback with your new running technique to determine your new starting point. Practice the run so that it is consistent.

2. Pole carry - you are starting out with your left hand too low, and the pole nearly horizontal the entire run. the tip should start out higher and fall during the run. This hurts the run because you have to lean back slightly to counteract the weight of the pole. You can run taller with a higher pole carry. Watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv13WyyucmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOoHRe8QCGs

3. Plant - you are starting it late, and with your hands too low. Watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_b45GBLQZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noO3DQh8JUA
then practice the walking 3-step plant motion in these videos 20-25 reps every day.

4. Take-off - you are way under, like 2-feet under. This is dangerous. You need to have someone check your take-off point every jump and make adjustments for your next jump. You and your teammates should get in the habit of doing it for each other. Also, practice your run so that you run consistently every time. Wind and adrenaline (like in a meet) will affect your run and you need to adjust for it.

5. In the air - you are pulling (yourself up the pole in an effort to get higher) - DON'T DO THAT!!! Pulling on the pole stops the rotation to vertical. For a vault to be successful, the pole needs to get to vertical. Do not pull. Read this article and watch the videos:
http://artofthevault.com/articles/pole- ... ry-school/

Here's a good long/detailed video that breaks everything down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqEdocpfcM

Keep working at it, the fact that you are asking for help tells us that you are determined. Determination is needed in this event. It is very technical, a lot of things need to be done well and at the right time. Broken down, they are all simple moves, but they have to be executed flawlessly, and everything depends on what preceded it. Focus on your flaws one at a time and fix them. It is best to fix them in order. Good luck, and work hard. It's a fun event.

l_can
PV Newbie

Unread postby l_can » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I'll work on my run and do runs to fix my overstriding along with making my carry better and plant earlier. I'll be back with another video soon.
Also, I don't feel like pulling is what is happening but rather a weak takeoff from overstriding and running under, along with a low plant. Due to all those my arms create no space from the pole, and have no motion to carry my deeper into the pit.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:31 pm

l_can wrote: I don't feel like pulling is what is happening but rather a weak takeoff from overstriding and running under, along with a low plant.

Well, you are pulling, but it's after the vault is already lost. However, you should get into the practice of keeping the shoulders down, and letting the hips rise. You can't do that when you pull. Pulling kills your rotation/inversion.

l_can wrote: Due to all those my arms create no space from the pole, and have no motion to carry me deeper into the pit.

You may be over-analyzing this. Fix one problem at a time - the first being your steps. You need to hit your takeoff mark much better before you can even hope to jump off the ground properly and swing properly. Get that fixed first.

If I were your coach (I assume that guy tapping you is your coach), I would focus on getting your takeoff fixed, and lower your grip so that you roll the pole forwards. It's a terrible idea for him to TAP you to give you enough momentum to land in the pit. If you hit your takeoff with good (better) posture, and if you lower your grip, you will land in the pit. Tapping you is just a crutch, and doesn't really teach you how to jump off the ground with good posture or judge how much momentum you need to land in the pit.

Tapping actually makes it HARDER for you to get the feel for when you're jumping off the ground hard enough, and when your forward momentum is strong enough to reach the pit. It also doesn't give you the practice that you need to learn how to BAIL safely from a bad vault - when you have a poor takeoff or when your forwards motion is insufficient. You need to experience what a BAD vault feels like, so that you can bail safely.

The more your coach taps you, the less you will personally FEEL what YOU can (and can't) do when you takeoff, stretch, and swing.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

l_can
PV Newbie

Unread postby l_can » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 pm

^ I'll take that into consideration.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:55 am

l_can wrote:^ I'll take that into consideration.
I am really pleased that you are going to consider this advice!!!!!

Because you have had a lot of useful advice BUT two things will help you - take off in the right place - you are indeed at least two feet under - you cannot vault effectively from there and you MUST eliminate the tap from you training - it only encourages a bad take off. To put it cruelly - if you cannot jump even 11 feet without a tap find another sport because you are going to hurt your self - and in doing so you will hurt our sport. Sorry old son but them's the facts as I see them. :crying:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

l_can
PV Newbie

Unread postby l_can » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:23 am

altius wrote:
l_can wrote:^ I'll take that into consideration.
I am really pleased that you are going to consider this advice!!!!!

Because you have had a lot of useful advice BUT two things will help you - take off in the right place - you are indeed at least two feet under - you cannot vault effectively from there and you MUST eliminate the tap from you training - it only encourages a bad take off. To put it cruelly - if you cannot jump even 11 feet without a tap find another sport because you are going to hurt your self - and in doing so you will hurt our sport. Sorry old son but them's the facts as I see them. :crying:

I understand. The tap was due to a massive headwind, but I will work without one so I can learn to safely bail.
I was jumping 11' in practice with ease before but I moved up to a larger pole and it has been a struggle since to even carry the pole.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 am

[quote="
I will work without one so I can learn to safely bail.
[/quote]

Suggest you learn to take off properly before you you 'learn to bail'. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

l_can
PV Newbie

Unread postby l_can » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 am

altius wrote:Suggest you learn to take off properly before you you 'learn to bail'. ;)

That's a better idea!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Don't worry ... on your way to learning how to take off properly, you'll have plenty of chances to practice your bails! :D

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”