FEEDBACK NEEDED ASAP

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Joshps
PV Beginner
Expertise: Student vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam kendricks

FEEDBACK NEEDED ASAP

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 am

Hi im 16 and a sophomore vaulter. I PR'ed at 11' my freshmen year and have had pole troubles and a long winter to deter my progress this season so far only getting 10'6 at meets. I need advice and help with my vault to improve my form. I recently started to invert but i still feel like it is more outward and not as vertical. Besides my left arm crushing, what can you guys tell me about my vault?? Any feedback is welcome!
PS i have sectionals on friday so help quick please! im confident i will clear starting height but i need 11, bungie at 12ft in the link. Help me get to state!

Pole: 13' 130lb 23.0 flex

I weight 131lbs and am 5'9

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUrp-P6 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Joshps on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: FEEDBACK NEEDED ASAP

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am

Soryy - lost my night vision glasses so I can't see what you are doing. :dazed:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 am

bad quality i know, im working on it

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:38 am

Joshps wrote: PS i have sectionals on friday so help quick please! ... Help me get to state!

Josh, while I can appreciate your desperation to do well at Sectionals, you're looking for a miracle, and last time I checked, there's no miracle cures to be had on PVP. The Pole Vault takes hard work, focus, and practice, practice, practice. It's only thru several MONTHS (not days or weeks) of practice that you can really up your PR to something to be proud of.

Please bump this thread 9 months from now, when you start your 2015 Jr. season. Then we can try to help you work on your technique with 3 months of hard work and focus. BTW, through the summer, fall, and winter, get in the gym and learn to swing on the highbar and rings. Also weights, situps, leg lifts, push-ups, run, run, run, play other sports, etc, etc, etc. This will all pay off big-time 9 months from now when we advise you to manipulate your body on the pole or in the air in a certain way, because you'll have the strength and coordination to do it.

I don't mean to be crass about this, but just enjoy the fun of going to Sectionals, and don't worry too much about flying over a new PR. If you do PR, it would most likely be a MIRACLE, rather than any last-minute specific technical hints that we give you. :confused:

If anyone else has any constructive hints to give this desperado, please go for it! I admit that my lack of short-term advice isn't very constructive. :dazed:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:46 am

"I admit that my lack of short-term advice isn't very constructive. :dazed:" Buts it the truth - and it is something that needs to be clarified for all youngsters seeking miracles on this site. Just because pole vaulting is simple - doesnt mean that its easy! ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 am

Well thanks for the feedback :(
I usually do get in the weight room regularly but i guess theres some ways i can improve.

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 am

But what you guys are saying is that if i do running and get stronger that my vault will improve along with my strength?

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

Can't see where your feet are, but it looks like you're taking off about 2 feet under, and as a result you can't get the hands all the way up at the plant. That's about as constructive as the advice can get for "short term" help.

As for your development, your vault isn't half bad for your level, considering you take off 2 feet under. But the fact that you weigh 131 and you're on a 130 pole is a problem. You need to learn how to move a straight pole to vertical. I suggest you do 6 step straight pole drills, and challenge yourself to hold as high as possible while makig the pole move smoothly to the back of the pit. Put up a bungee with the standards 40 - 50 inches behind the box and challenge yourself to clear the highest bungee possible while jumping on a straight pole. Practice your plant drill relentlessly to improve your plant timing - you'e a little late in the video. Get DJs mid mark chart to fix your step over the long term.

Good luck at sectionals tomorrow.

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 am

CoachEric wrote:Can't see where your feet are, but it looks like you're taking off about 2 feet under, and as a result you can't get the hands all the way up at the plant. That's about as constructive as the advice can get for "short term" help.
Good luck at sectionals tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! i know my run is probably a little off, i'll look into that. This season i have made numerous breakthroughs in form and i do realize i am on a small pole but im working my way up. Straight pole work sounds great!

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks everyone!! I vaulted a season best/ starting height of 11' with great attemps at 11'6, not making state but still satisfied!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Joshps wrote:Thanks everyone!! I vaulted a season best/ starting height of 11' with great attemps at 11'6, not making state but still satisfied!

Don't get too satisfied. Get that 12 month plan going! Soon! :idea:

And see if you can get into some camps and meets this summer. The school season is just too short! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 am

You're right kirk, i'll be hittin it hard this summer and am supposed to be attending bartolina pv camp in lousiana this summer!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”