Need Plant Help

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
williamstuart
PV Newbie
Expertise: School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.45m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Need Plant Help

Unread postby williamstuart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm

I have been spending the past couple practices working on fixing my plant. I am aiming for a free take-off plant, and in the video below, I achieve that. However, my bottom arm is collapsing into the top of my head. Is this to be expected from the petrov model on smaller poles? Or am I doing something wrong? I do not press at all with the bottom arm, but I feel like my issue, if present, might be that I am not lifting my bottom arm into the plant.

Video - (I know I'm blowing through the pole; I just would like to know about the plant.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcEAkWzPDQ
13'7" Bungee
6 Step Approach
12'10" Grip on 13' 180 Pole (13.4 Flex)
Weight: 168 lbs

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: Need Plant Help

Unread postby Tory » Thu May 01, 2014 9:28 pm

If you are wanting to work on your plan, I would recommend that you NOT jump in the pit. Do walking plants on the track. Then do running plants into a towel. Then running plants into a slidebox. No sense in having to put in the extra effort of swinging and attempting to clear bungees/bars.

If I were a mechanic who wanted to know more about transmissions, I wouldn't disassemble the entire vehicle every time in order to work on the transmission. Likewise, as a pole vaulter, you break the vault down into pieces (or Phases) and then you perfect each piece. Don't do unnecessary work.

williamstuart wrote:However, my bottom arm is collapsing into the top of my head. Is this to be expected from the petrov model on smaller poles?

Nowhere in the Petrov model would it be acceptable to hit yourself in the head with the bottom hand. Your bottom hand never gets extended to where it should be because your plant is slightly late. If you look at your pole drop during the run-up, you'll notice that your bottom hand is below your bottom arm elbow. That being the case, you have created more distance for your bottom hand to travel to get to the proper plant position. Distance = time, thus your plant is late. Since the plant is late, you never really get the chance to jump..... you're more running into the pole than jumping UP.

It is unfortunate that your video goes dark and blurry at the exact time when we need to see your plant. So, work on your plant away from the pit for a few hours and then take higher quality video for us analyze.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Need Plant Help

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Tory wrote: ... you have created more distance for your bottom hand to travel to get to the proper plant position. Distance = time, thus your plant is late. Since the plant is late, you never really get the chance to jump..... you're more running into the pole than jumping UP.

+1 :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”