Feel like I'm taking off early

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Js1996
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Feel like I'm taking off early

Unread postby Js1996 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:35 pm

I was working with a slide box recently and when watching myself slowed down i feel like my takeoff is early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OkUlKC-lI

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Re: Feel like I'm taking off early

Unread postby Decamouse » Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 am

early! I would say late and would be under -- pole is starting to bend and you have not got you take-off foot down - pole has hit back of slide box arms are not fully extended or pressing/pushing up (plant tall arms fully extended) -- drills must replicate the desired take-off - or you practice what you are trying not to do
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 am

Yeah, you're way under, and your plant is really late.

Whenever your hips are in the wrong position at takeoff, the takeoff can feel out, even when you're under. Practice your plant motion. I would suggest you avoid this drill for now because you are dropping the pole tip too early and stabbing at the box. I would suggest you practice vaulting on a straight pole. Make use of that sand pit and challenge yourself to hold as high as possible while sand vaulting. Put a bungee up when you go to the pit with your standards 4ft back and straight pole over bungee. In your case this sliding box drill is reinforcing bad habits.

Js1996
PV Newbie

Unread postby Js1996 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks for the advice! Ive got a competition tomorrow any ideas on a quick fix for the problem. My steps are usually consistent, but over the past couple weeks they have been very erratic.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 am

There's not really any such thing as a quick fix for any issues in the vault. If you have developed a bad habit, it generally takes about 3 times as long to unlearn the bad habit.

Practice your plant in slow motion, focusing on initiating the plant early, anticipating your left foot as you begin the plant three steps out from takeoff, moving the hands fast when you initiate the movement. Run tall and relaxed with the hips up and forward, relaxing the shoulders. If you drill your plant motion rigorously, you might make the correction and make it much easier to put your step on.

Js1996
PV Newbie

Unread postby Js1996 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:48 pm

After a disappointing meet, I spent hours outside running my steps outside wit chalk on my feet until my takeoff foot was at the same spot every time. I still think that I'm still a little bit under but I feel like it is an improvement over last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoaNBZZRycg

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Have you tried landing on your takeoff fit in that drill? I don't know if it will fix your stated problem (probably not), but it's worth a try. It will at least feel different than what you're doing. Experiment.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”