Huge PR

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
bzugar
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

Huge PR

Unread postby bzugar » Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm

At my league championship meet this weekend jumped a huge PR of 14'6" which bests my previous of 13'4". heres the video, add your thoughts and advice please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y61KGrZt7DA

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Huge PR

Unread postby GasPasser » Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Congratulations, that's awesome, and what a great time to triple PR! You have come a long way this year, your hard work is paying off.

Given that you are going into the championship phase of the season, I wouldn't change too much with your vaulting, focus on consistency so you can make 14' 6" in all the rest of your meets.

It's hard to get a good look at your vaults in this video given the distance from the pit and all the people in the way (of us seeing the end of the run, plant, and takeoff). I'm only really able to see the end of the vault clearly. So I'm seeing the results, and not the causes. This summer, I'd suggest you do a lot of invert drills, where you lock on to the pole totally inverted. In these vaults, I'm seeing the same thing in many of your earlier videos - that is, your hips are staying below your head - your head may also be coming up as the pole unbends (or put another way, your hips are dropping while your feet and head stay up). It is very apparent in your first 14'9" attempt at around 0:48 into the video. You go from an inverted "L" with your legs in the air, and your body nearly parallel to the ground, to a seated "V", or pike, just before you start your turn - like your are trying to read the label on the crossbar before you try to clear it. In my opinion, you are looking for the bar too early, and may be pulling yourself up at the wrong time and in the wrong position. When I looked at the video of your Bubka drill, you do a good job at getting inverted, and no sign of your head coming up. Also, in that drill, you do a decent job of keeping your trail leg straight, and long. I can't see clearly in the latest video, but I think you are bending your trail leg and tucking. A powerful swing with a straight trail leg will help you get inverted, so you can be totally inverted when the pole unbends - and launch you UP! Again, don't try to change your vault now, these are things to work on this summer. There are no quick fixes.

Best of luck for the remainder of this season!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”